Views
Helpful
Replies

ReIP Expressway E

CUCM55120
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

We are currently having to reIP part of our network due to some infrastructure changes and need to reIP our two Expressway E servers used for Jabber and MRA. Was wondering if anyone knew the procedure we would need to go through to reIP them and if there are any caveats or things to watch out for? The servers were installed a while back by a 3rd party and we had a bit of involvement but my memory isn't great on the process so trying to make sure I don't miss anything or anywhere else the new IP needs to be configured.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Changing network configuration in Expressway is pretty straightforward as it does not activate the change until you restart the Expressway. So just set the new IP configuration and then restart it to activate the changes. As with any change to network you’d need to take routing into consideration. Depending on if it is on the interface where you have the default gateway or if it’s on the interface where you’re using static routes defined it’s different configuration items that needs to be adjusted.

Response Signature

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Normally you just change the relevant configs for the IP config (keep your routing in mind!!) and maybe static routes and the corresponding DNS A-records / SRV / reverse pointer entries.
Also check / update the FW rules.

Normally, in the zones in the EXPs you have DNS-names configured. So, there shouldn't be anything to be done (assuming you update the DNS entries).

But if you use the current IP's in any other systems for communication is a question, that only you can answer or the technician, who built that system. Nobody here in the forum knows your whole setup, so it's hard to provide info.

If I were you and I don't know the setup:
I would go through all the steps, as if it would be a new installation.

As you mentioned two expressway i believe its a clustered deployment.

Hope this link help you.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/expressway/config_guide/X14-0/cluster_creation_maint/exwy_b_cisco-expressway-cluster-creation-and-maintenance-deployment-guide-x14-0/exwy_b_cluster-creation-maintenance-deployment-guide_chapter_0111...

Change the Address of a Peer

To change the address of an Expressway peer you must remove the Expressway from the cluster, change its address, and then add the Expressway back into the cluster.

The process is as follows:

Procedure

Step 1

Ensure that the Expressway whose address you want to change is not the primary Expressway.

If it is the primary Expressway, follow the steps in Change the Primary Peer to make a different peer the primary.

Step 2

Carry out the process documented in Remove a Live Peer From a Cluster (Permanently)

Step 3

Change the address of the Expressway.

Step 4

Carry out the process documented in Add a Peer to a Cluster.

After changing the IP you must update your DNS entries. Public DNS entries remains same if no change for public IP's.

While you are changing a peer address, communications between peers are temporarily impacted and you will see alarms that persist until the changes are complete and the cluster agrees on the new addresses.

IP address must be updated on below locations if you are not using FQDN

- Zones configuration page expressway C

- Expressway E Clustering

- Update firewall Policy for new Ip's

• Put the node in to maintenance mode
  • Remove the old/current IP address, of the peer that is changing, from the clustering configuration on all nodes:
  • Edit the A/AAAA record for the affected node's FQDN to resolve to the new IP address (if there is an address record for the node).
  • Use nslookup or similar tool to verify the updated record in DNS.
  • Change the IP Address on the Expressway node which is changing (System > Network interfaces > IP) and save.
  • Restart the affected Expressway node

Response Signature

CUCM55120
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the info guys very helpful. Sorry should have mentioned the bits I was aware of as I realise now I probably sound like im clueless and playing with something I am about to break!

Had considered the DMZ and firewall policies needed updating for our Expressway E zone. The new subnet and zone on our firewall will be replication of our existing setup just a different IP subnet as the existing one is due to be migrated to the cloud whilst our Expressway E VM is remaining running on premise on physical UCS chassis.

FQDN is configured and used where possible so I think we should have minimal config changes to make when IP changes. The NAT public IP address will remain the same just our internal private IP changing so shouldn't need to worry about our external DNS records I guess.

Cheers!