Views
Helpful
Replies

Schedule time to shut down cisco IP phones

hassan.fahmy
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

i would like to ask if there is any way to schedule time on CUCM 7 allowing us to shut down cisco ip phones during week ends, and which cisco ip phone models that support this feature.

regards

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What do you mean by shut down? Do you mean for the phones to be completely Off? Or put them to sleep i.e. screen goes dark, or make them so that users cannot make any calls?

HTH,

Chris

Dear Chris,

Thanks for your generous reply

i don`t mean to to power off display, what i mean is

• Completely shut down these phones at sceduled time

or

• Disallow phone calls at scheduled time

for one phone or all phones

Again Thanks

Hassan,

If you want to power down the phones have a look at EnergyWise configuration for the POE switches.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a0080bab900.shtml

If you what to lock the phone have a look at StoneLock

http://www.imagicle.com/products/control/phonelock/stonelock/tabid/221/language/en-us/default.aspx

Hope this helps,

Craig

(PLEASE RATE HELPFUL POSTS)

The easiest and most painless way to tackle this would be configuring time schedules within CUCM.  You basically define time periods (under Call Routing -> Class of Control), then associate 1 or more time periods to a time schedule, and finally you associate a time schedule to a partition.  As usual the CUCM help file is excellent here.  For any outbound routes which you want to restrict, make sure the route pattern partition has the appropriate time schedule.

Hassan,

I'm no phone guy but if you want to POWER OFF the phones outside office hours there are serious implications to consider.

If your phones have PCs connected to them, there's a large chance that when the phones go off, the PCs will not be able to reach the network (because VoIP phones do not have bypass functionality).

Another thing is in an emergency, no one can make outgoing/incoming calls.

If this is what you want then you could try EnergyWise if you don't have acess to your CUCM services.  Let's say you want to power off your phones at midnight and power up by 5am the next morning (weekdays):

!Global

energywise domain security shared-secret

energywise importance 60

!  Time Range

time-range ON

absolute start 05:00 01 March 2013

periodic weekday 5:00 to 23:59

time-range OFF

absolute start 00:00 01 March 2013

periodic weekday 0:0 to 5:00

!  Interface

interface GigabitEthernet0/1