Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 7 to Unity Connection 8

kiru
Level 1
Level 1

this is a design question and best way to go about doing this:

we have Unity 7 voicemail only in it's own domain on box exchange. we have a total of 5 servers like this connected together around the world.

we want to move to Unity Connection HA at all thye sites and network digitally. We want to integrate to their existing corporate domain. we must preserve greetings and passwords and callhandlers but not voicemail. what and how do we do this.

4 Replies 4

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The specialized migration tool for migrating from Unity to Unity Connection is called COBRAS.  It can grab quite a bit of data to be used for import between systems.  Here are some links you should take a look at:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/migrating-to-cisco-unity-connection.html?blogger=David+Hailey  - Make sure to pay attention to the additional links for a white paper as well as a tech presentation.

You should also look at the following:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS.htm

Once you've reviewed those items, let me know if you have any additional questions.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks for the info. How would it work if they want to integrate the Unity Connection to AD? how would it have an effect on the user accounts from the unity server which were on its own AD and domain versus moving these same users over with all their passwords and greeting preserved onto a different AD with possible different names of user accounts?

COBRAS cannot maintain passwords since Microsoft AD stores them in a one-way hash. Cisco's documentation says this:

Passwords for Cisco Unity web applications cannot be exported because they are stored in Active

Directory. When you create new user accounts by importing data, every account will get the same

password, which is the password in the template that you specify when you import data.

You can have internal user accounts in Unity Connection; or syncronize them to UCM or Microsoft AD through AXL or LDAP respectively after import. Unlike Unity, Unity Connection is read-only with LDAP so the schema extensions are no longer relevent.

I'm not sure what your migration strategy is; however, it is possible to digitally network a Unity 8 site (i.e. you would have to upgrade those first) to Unity Connection 8 site. The Design Guide has a whole chapter on this: Migrating from Cisco Unity to Cisco Unity Connection 8.x. You may want to spend some time reading that and deciding on the best course of action.

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can remap the aliases using COBRAS prior to migration. The COBRAS Data Viewer is used for that. So, in your old Unity you might have alias of "johndoe" but in the new domain the user is "jdoe". You would need to remap those in advance so there is some legwork. As far as passwords go, the only thing you can control is the phone password (i.e., the PIN for the telephone interface). This is unrelated to the LDAP/domain password (i.e., for login to domain). The items that you can migrate are mailbox-related...i.e., COBRAS is capable of migrating data that is contained in the Unity SQL database.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App