cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade CUCM/CUC

alialjamri2008
Level 1
Level 1

We are planning to upgrade our CUCM/CUC Ver 7.1.3 to Ver 8.6, as I know from Cisco documentations/Guide that we need to purchase UCSS-UCM & UCSS-MSG along with and attaching them to ESW contract. Currently we have attached servers details which also appear to be compatible with the upgrade (as per upgrade table recommendation only to upgrade he RAMs to 4GB):
As we contacted our partner they replay to us with below notes:

"For facilitating minor upgrades this we Need software Support contract ESW for version 7.X call manager
with ESW and UCSS for 7.x you are not entitled to go for any major upgrades
updating from version 7.1 to 8.6 is considered as Migration by Cisco so you need to purchase Migration licenses and ESW(software support contract for version 8.5 or 8.x).
Migration will be expensive solution so if you prefer."

As you see these notes are totally deferent than what Cisco say. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks,
Ali

8 Replies 8

awaheed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ali,

Your partner is correct that moving from 7.x to 8.6 is considered a major upgrade which will require UCSS. We have a promotion that your partner can leverage. The promotion is valid through end of March so hope that you can leverage it before that time as the updated promotion will have a different price point.

3&3 migration promotion (Partner accessible only):

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/sell/technology/ipc/3and3.html

The '3 and 3 Upgrade' offer is designed to motivate the Unified Communications customer installed base to migrate from earlier releases to Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.1(5) or UC 8.x. With the '3 and 3 Upgrade' bundled offer, customers are able to purchase a la carte Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.1(5) and Unified Communications 8.x product upgrades for $3 per user, per application* when combined with a three year minimum** Cisco Unified Communications Software Subscription (UCSS) at standard price (please note that Cisco Unified Communications Essential Operate Service [ESW] is required with UCSS). Valid through end March 2012

Hope this helps,

Rgds

Aamir

Aamir,

I agree with you but our partner saying this:

"with ESW and UCSS for 7.x you are not entitled to go for any major upgrades"

Thanks,

Ali

That is wrong

ESW allows you to minor upgrades in a version e.g. 7.0 to 7.1,

UCSS+ESW entitles you to major upgrades between full versions e.g. 7.x to 8.x.

You only need to buy the upgrade migration licenses if you do not have a valid UCSS in place already, in which case the 3&3 mentioned above is your best option.

Thanks guys,

I need more details for the 3&3 promotion to discus it with our partner, because I do not have access to above link.

Thanks

Ali

That is completely wrong. ESW is minor patch and TAC, UCSS gives you major upgrade support.

Thanks

Srini

Aamir,

Please note that the 3x3 promo will be replaced as of April 5th with the 9x3 promo.

The same principle, but at triple cost (9$ versus 3$ for the user migration codes)

So better order the migration asap

gr

Gunther

What does this process for?

As I know we need the UCSS along with the ESW to order the upgrade media

Ali

I don't think that we need to purchase 3x3 promo, as we already have UCSS and ESW software contract, please read this post : 

http://www.adcapnet.com/tech-tips/cisco-user-connect-licensing-%E2%80%93-something-that-makes-sense/

Thanks

Ali