cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

User Management broken on CUCM after upgrade from 10.5(2) to 11.5(1)

mpieper
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

first of all, this is a lab environment I am talking about, nothing critical. I have no problems setting up the whole bunch again, but I would like to understand what happened to me. Also please note that this is my first real contact with CUCM 11.5. This lab was set up in preparation for upgrading our productive cluster.

The environment:

CUCM 11.5.1.11900-26, single server, upgraded from 10.5.2.13901-2

Unity Connection 11.5.1.11900-26, also single server

I set up the CUCM 10.5.2 and the Unity and got everything to work so far. I setup Unity as well with user import via AXL from the CUCM. Integration worked fine as far as I could test it in my lab.

I then went about upgrading the CUCM to the above mentioned 11.5 version via OS Administration. The upgrade itself and the version switch worked fine and gave me no errors at all.

After the CUCM was back up, I verified the version, which shows fine. My phones came back up after an additional restart. After that, I also tested the Unity integration, which still worked.

My surprise came when I wanted to add a new user to the CUCM...

I noticed the following Symptoms:

- when adding a new user, the User Rank is a required field, but I cannot select anything in the dropdown menu, even after I have created additional ranks. This applies to End Users and Application Users

- I cannot change the rank of existing users, the User Rank field of those is grayed out on Rank 1

- I can change other information of existing users, except User Groups, those buttons are missing

- I have no option to delete existing users. On the user page, the button is missing, in the user list there is no checkbox to select a user

- The missing checkbox applies to all pages where I would have to select a user, e.g. assigning a user to a line

- The Quick Add User/Phone page stays blank after loading

- I cannot add a LDAP directory. The Save button simply does nothing on that page

- I cannot create or change user groups. When I try, I get a message telling me "User is not authorized to access this page". I am logged in with the application user created during CUCM installation.

- I can still create Phones, Lines, User Device Profiles or Call Routing stuff.

When I switch back to the old version, everything seems to work again. I then also repeated the upgrade, but again I have the same issues.

Any help in understanding what has happened to my lab is appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There is a bug on CUCM 11.5 when you login where case sensitivity matters, for example if your username is Administrator but you login as administrator things don't work as expected, so make sure you login with a user as it appears exactly.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

joshuag
Level 1
Level 1

Just upgraded to 11.5 and I'm seeing the same thing with the users and missing check boxes and can't add to user groups.  Did you ever get this resolved?

Not really.

From the beginning I suspected the Unity Integration. I deleted the Phone System in Unity and then scrapped the CUCM installation and reinstalled, again with the same upgrade procedure, but without unity integration.

That upgrade worked fine. Unity (which I did not reinstall) is also working fine now after setting up the integration as well in the upgraded CUCM.

So it seems there is something that has to be done to a CUCM with unity integration before upgrading it. Sadly I was not able to find anything pointing to such a thing.

There is a bug on CUCM 11.5 when you login where case sensitivity matters, for example if your username is Administrator but you login as administrator things don't work as expected, so make sure you login with a user as it appears exactly.

Oh wow.

I was about to say that this can't be the issue, since we generally use password managers. But I remember setting the password in the lab to something simple without having to use the password manager. I even modified the credential policy. And of course since it never mattered for the web interface, lazy as one is, I typed the username in lowercase.

That is one of the few things I did not do in my new setup, so I always used the password manager, which has the correct capitalization.

Sure enough, when I login to the new setup with a lowercase username, I have exactly the same issues I described in my post above.

Are there already fixed versions out there?

This is the bug, see the Resolved versions listed on it:

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCva36619/?referring_site=bugquickviewclick

I do not yet have much experience with how Cisco handles the listed versions in the download section.

If the version that has fixed the issue, according to the bug listing, is not listed (the latest listed version is affected by the bug) I would have to open a case to get access?

You will need to open a TAC case to get one of the Engineering Specials this is fixed in as the latest available release posted is 11.5.1.11900-26 which is affected. Alternatively, I hear 11.5.1SU2 is going to be released any day now, so you might want to wait for that.

Hitting this issue on 11.5(1)SU2 as well even though it's listed as fixed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: