cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VG224 minimum username length issue

Justin Clark
Level 1
Level 1

Our facility uses a well-entrenched NEC DSX key telephone system.  The system supports up to 32 VoIP extensions in addition to a few dozen analog and key handsets.  I have successfully deployed 18 VoIP extensions using three SPA8000 units with great success.  This was required because part of our campus is reachable only by fiber-optic network.  We have no copper connectivity to this structure.

I recently purchased a Cisco VG224 unit, expecting to be able to integrate it into the DSX and move all the analog-over-VoIP extensions into one gateway rather than three SPA8000 units.

However:

The VG224 requires usernames for the dial-peer authentication to be a minimum of 4 characters.

The DSX system uses the extension number as the username.  Only 3-digit extensions are allowed.

The DSX does not allow the username to be configured in any way, it is always the 3-digit extension number.

The VG224 does not allow 3-digit usernames.

Is there anything I can do on the VG to work around the 4-character minimum username?

For clarity the command I'm issuing is show below, with the system's response to the command:

VG224-01(config-dial-peer)#authentication username 291 password 291291 realm 192.168.75.24
Username MUST be atleast 4 characters

The VG224 is running IOS 15.1(4)M7  [vg224-i6k9s-mz.151-4.M7.bin].

The NEC DSX-80 system is fully up to date with their latest code, version 3.47 GA.

I'm not calling this a bug, but it certainly is a significant mistake in the code as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Interesting, I have never used the authentication on DP on a VG-224 before. Why is this required ? How is the VG-224 being integrated with DSX ? No CUCM or CME ?

The authentication is required by the NEX DSX-80 phone system. It's required by default and it cannot be disabled. They make it simple, the username is always the three-digit extension, and you set the password yourself.

Essentially I'm trying to replace three Cisco SPA-8000 units with one VG224. Its function is simply an analog to VoIP gateway. No CME or CUCM in this environment. The DSX is the system the VG will connect to.

NEC calls out the SPA-8000 as a compatible unit and offers a configuration guide on how to make them work together. I assumed I could extrapolate the information and adapt it to the VG224. I think I succeeded, if not for this username length issue.

I am still not able to understand how is the VG integrating with DSX ? What is the protocol ? How is DSX anticipating the VG to authenticate ?

This looks like SIP registration with DIGEST authentication; correct me if I’m wrong.

Since RFC3261 actually uses a three-character username of “bob” in the relevant sections it seems pretty clear this is an assumption made by a developer within Cisco. If you purchased SMARTnet on the VG224 you could open a TAC case and see if you can get it declared a defect.

The only far-fetched workaround idea I can imagine is a voice class sip-profile that modifies the username in the reINVITE that includes the Proxy-Authentication header. I have never tried this though.

Apologies, I'm away from the office for labor day weekend. I also must apologize for omitting the relevant protocol information initially. The DSX system is using SIP, I will check the authentication mechanism on Wednesday when I return to the office. Will have to dig that up in the NEC docs.

I was able to provision some base model Cisco IP handsets at one point in time and those worked fine with the 3 character username.

I do not currently have SmartNet on the device, if it's not past the sunset date I may add it just to file the bug/defect.

The DSX documentation shows the config for setting up a Cisco SPA8000, and it is able to send the 3 character username with no issues. It seems your take may be right on, it may be the case that the 4 character limitation is in error. I can provide a link to this config example if that's helpful.

It appears the sunset date for new service attachment on the VG224 is already past, April 23, 2016.

It's extremely unfortunate that I have essentially no option other than to attempt to return the device to the vendor when the issue seems to be very clearly an error in the device code.  I suppose this is a risk taken when purchasing equipment without a service contract.  However, even in the case of SmartNet coverage, I highly doubt Cisco would write a new firmware image for this outdated, albeit very expensive, device.

Just a bit of additional information, in the case this may help close the loop or assist somebody else.  Here is how the Cisco SPA8000 ATA is configured, per NEC's documentation, to work with my 3rd party key system (NEC DSX-80).

Again, I was able to adapt this information and configured some Cisco 7912 IP handsets and they work very well on the DSX system, using the SIP based firmware on the handset and a simple TFTP server on the LAN for the phones to grab their config files from.

None of this really matters, other than to show clear examples of two other devices (Cisco 7912 handset and Cisco SPA8000 ATA) which happily allow 3-char usernames to be configured for SIP authentication.

SPA8000 example config shown below:

http://www.necdsx.com/docs/sip_ata/sip_ata_installation_notes.html

Setting up a Cisco SPA8000 or PAP2T ATA

The Cisco SPA8000 and PAP2T ATAs have been tested on the DSX. Use System Software Version 3.2 or higher.

Unlike the DSX IP Keyset, the Cisco SAP8000 and PAP2T ATAs require some basic setup programming to make them work correctly on the DSX. If you don't understand the following options, refer to the Cisco documentation for additional instruction.

To have access to these options, you must log onto the ATA as admin and run in the advanced mode.

System Tab

Enable Web Server = Yes

Enable Web Admin Access = Yes
    DHCP = Yes
    (Optional) Admin Psswd: (Your choice)

SIP Tab
    NAT Support Parameters (for remote offices only)
      Handle VIA received = Yes
      Handle VIA rport = Yes
      Insert VIA rport = Yes
      Send Resp to Src Port = Yes

Regional Tab
    Vertical Service = Remove all the *xx codes that correspond to a system feature (e.g., *6x, *7x).

Line Tab
    Line Enable = Yes

NAT Settings

NAT Mapping Enable = Yes
    Proxy and Registration
      Proxy = WAN address of the router to which the phone system is connected.
      Voice Mail Server = WAN address of the router to which the phone system is connected.
    Subscriber Information
      Display Name = The extension's number (from 2106)
      Password = The extension's password (from 2106)
      Auth ID = The extension's number (from 2106)
      User ID = The extension's number (from 2106)
      Use Auth ID = Yes
    Supplementary Service Subscription
      MWI Serv = Yes
    Audio Configuration
      DTMF TX Method = INFO
      Hook Flash TX Method = None

Cisco Capture.PNG

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: