cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

license needed for HSRP on 5512?

u82cats
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure if I am in the correct group or not, but here it is.

We have an ASA 5512-x with base license and are requested to setup a HSRP to support two routers (different providers to the same location). I have read and not clearly finding out if HSRP requires a license in order for it to work? if so, what license?

Can someone shed some light on this for me on what is needed on my part to support it?

2 Replies 2

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

The ASA firewall does not use HSRP but uses failover to  provide high availability. You need two ASA firewalls to create high availability. in your case, are you looking at supporting two providers on one ASA or do you have another ASA to create a failover pair?

With one ASA you cannot setup failover, but  will have to use routing to create provider failover.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

I have one ASA that will be supporting two providers. I have attached a .png to show what is needed to be accomplished. unless I am getting this all incorrect, is the attachment BGP configuration instead? would setting two ports on the ASA as bonded work the same? Or please explain what I am not understanding (very beginner)?

and thank you for your response.