cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

B200 M2 - 1333 MHz supported with two DIMMs per Channel?

JEFFREY SESSLER
Level 1
Level 1

Part of Intel's revision from the 5500 to 5600 series processor was support for maintaining memory speed at 1333 MHz (for the processors that support it) with two DIMMs per channel. Will a B200 M2 with x56xx processors run memory at 1333 MHz with two DIMMs per channel?

thanks

Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The above answer is Incorrect.  You CAN populate (2) DIMMs per Channel on the B200 M2 and the memory will clock at 1333Mhz (assuming you are using 1333 Mhz rated DIMMs - 8GB DIMMs or smaller).  This results in up to 96GB clocked at 1333 Mhz.

Cheers,

Brad

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

HAROLD MEIER
Level 1
Level 1

No, if you populate the second dimm in any channel it will drop the speed to 1066mhz. You do have 3 channels per socket, so up to the first 6 dimms will run at 1333.

Wasn't that the point of the 56xx series? Even Intel states 1333 support with 2 DIMMs per channel. I quick search shows that Dell, IBM, HP, etc. support this configuration in their product. My assumption was that Cisco would too, and the documentation was just incorrect.

It was actually possible even on the 5500 series. HP had a bios update that let you do it almost a year ago.

I don't know why Cisco hasn't followed suit.

The above answer is Incorrect.  You CAN populate (2) DIMMs per Channel on the B200 M2 and the memory will clock at 1333Mhz (assuming you are using 1333 Mhz rated DIMMs - 8GB DIMMs or smaller).  This results in up to 96GB clocked at 1333 Mhz.

Cheers,

Brad

Excellent. Then please update the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/hw/chassis/install/blade.html#wp1035155

This still says what I stated above. It has information for both M1 and M2 blades and doesn't say there were any changes for the 5600.

Harold,

I have sent a message to engineering to update this documentation.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Cheers,

Brad

brhedlun wrote:

Cheers,

Brad

Thanks Brad, I suspected it was possible. Thank you for confirming it and asking that the documentation be updated.

Jeff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: