Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS c240 M4o

Have new Cisco UCS c240 that I installed ESXi 6.0 on and have configured the esxi host management network. However when trying to text the management network my connection fails. I am unable to ping the gateway. Not sure where the problem lies, the default gw/subnet are all configured statically and are correct. The switch it is connected to to is setup up on the correct vlan and that plan is being carried across the trunk. Have tried multiple ports on the back of my server and all with the same result unable to ping the gateway. Any help is much appreciated. 

7 Replies 7

Yasser Al-Alem
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Paul,

so as i understand the port is connected to trunk interface ? is there any tagging on ESXi for MGMT? if not the you may need to check native VLAN on switch interface where server is connected

no the port is configured as a access port and there is no tagging configured.

Are you learning any MAC address on the access switch port?

I would unplug all but one NIC(LOM port), and make sure in the DCUI console, mgmt network NIC list, that the one that shows connected, is the one with a X for use by mgmt network.

Aside from check the upstream switch port for speed/duplex mismatch or lots of CRCs, you may need to open a TAC case.

Thanks,

Kirk...

yes showing mac addresses on port. Also verified the correct port is selected.

Is there anything else on this same access vlan, connected to this same switch you can test ping from/to? Does your default gateway device have any arp info gathered from this ESXi mgmt IP/MAC ?

Maybe try booting an LINUX on a stick ISO via the virtual media, and confirm if you have connectivity?

Kirk...

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

In the ESXi DCUI, in the mgmt network setup, please confirm the NIC and mac address you are using/allowing mgmt traffic on.  I would then check your upstream Switch to see if you are learning those MAC address(es).  

Please confirm if your upstream switch port is Access or Trunk.  If it is access, and your ESXi mgmt ports are configured with Vlan tagging, this could also cause connectivity issues.

Ideally, you'll want to have at least two of your 1Gb LOM ports part of your mgmt VM management team, and have trunking setup on your upstream switch, allowing the vlan you will be using for your mgmt network.

I am assuming you have link lights on on the ports, when looking at the back of the server?

It is possible to disable the LOM ports via the CIMC, but the default is for them to be on/enabled.

Thanks,

Kirk...

my upstream port is configured as an access port and there is no tagging configured. how do you disable the LOM ports on the CIMC I do not see an option for that.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card