Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS issue

goalieman29
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have an issue with our ESX 4.0 environment on Cisco UCS blades with firmware version 1.1(1L). We are booting our blades from DAS and have our datastores connected to a NetApp FAS3140 via iSCSI. Distributed Virtual Switches are controlled by Nexus version 4.0(4)SV1(2).

The issue is with creating clones of VMs with larger VMDKs. Once we kick off a clone job, it will run for a while (30 minutes to 45 minutes) and then just hang. Eventually the host will disconnect itself from VSphere center due to the management services hanging. There arent any real ESX server logs generated that point to a problem. You can also look at the I/O graph (attached) for the ESX host and you can see the high I/O up until the point of the clone freeze and then "normal" I/O until the ESX host management services freeze. We even had one clone that currupted a datastore (thank god there was nothing else on it).

We have no problems cloning VMs that are 30 or 40GB but if you get above that we see the issue.

Any ideas would be great!

8 Replies 8

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Seth,

A few questions:

1. Blade adapter model, Firmware version & OS driver version being used?

2. Are you using a dedicated VLAN and/or NIC for iSCSI traffic?

3. Are you using iSCSI multipathing on the 1000v?

4. Are you using Jumbo Frames for iSCSI traffic?

5. How "large" are the VMDKs you're attempting to clone?

6. When the host "disconnects" from vCenter you should gather a "vm-support" bundle.  There will be clues in the vmkernel logs as to what's happening during that time on the host with the vpxd & vpxa agents.

Let's start here then we'll dig deeper.

Regards,

Robert

FYI - UCSM 1.1 is quite old at this stage.  The latest release is 1.4.2 which includes a great deal of feature & performance improvements.  No need to jump to upgrading just yet, but just wanted you aware.

Hi Robert,

Here are the answers below. I apologize in advance as I am new to these Cisco Blades.

1. Blade adapter model, Firmware version & OS driver version being used? The Blade is a Cisco B200-M1 Firmware 1.1(1L).

2. Are you using a dedicated VLAN and/or NIC for iSCSI traffic? We are using a dedicated VLAN but not a dedicated NIC.

3. Are you using iSCSI multipathing on the 1000v? No.

4. Are you using Jumbo Frames for iSCSI traffic? No.

5. How "large" are the VMDKs you're attempting to clone? 100GB+

6. When the host "disconnects" from vCenter you should gather a "vm-support" bundle.  There will be clues in the vmkernel logs as to what's happening during that time on the host with the vpxd & vpxa agents. There isnt anything in the logs...thats the weird thing.

After initiating a clone job, can you run "vm-support -s".  This will gather performance stats.  I'd like to see what they say about host activity & network utilisation during the task.

Also what VMware Driver version are you using? Just paste the output of "ethtool -i vmnicX" for one of your nics.

Regards,

Robert

Here is the NIC verson info...

driver: ixgbe
version: 1.3.36_NETQ-NAPI
firmware-version: N/A
bus-info: 0000:04:00.0

Due to the issues we are having with clones, we need to wait until a maintenance window to run one. Give me a couple days and Ill see what i can get you.

Thankst Seth.  Also though I see you're using an Intel Driver, I can't deduce whether your blade adapter is the M71-KR-Q (Qlogic) or M71-KR-E (Emulex).  Also confirm this.

Robert

82598KR-CI (Oplin) is what i have in my documentation.

Hi Robert,

We still havent had a chance to try a clone but I have a question. Would having Jumbo Frames NOT enabled cause cloning issues? My thought is that if transmitting smaller packets would make the ESX management services hang during a clone operation.

Thanks!

Seth

No.  Though a Jumbo MTU would increase the performance & efficiency of cloning, having a default MTU will not cause an issue like this.

Robert

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card