Views
Helpful
Replies

Downgrade ESXi 7 to ESXi 6.7 on UCS

silvakizir
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys.
I have a UCS Server model C220M6 which is BE6K-M6-K9 and came with preinstalled ESXi version 7.0.
For a specific migration/compatibility reason I need to downgrade to ESXi version 6.7
As far as I know I can't do a ESXi downgrade from version 7.0 to version 6.7 but instead I can do a new installation of ESXi version 6.7
If I follow the instructions in the bellow link will I be able to install ESXi version 6.7 with success?
https://community.cisco.com/t5/service-providers-knowledge-base/install-cisco-esxi-6-5-0-on-ucs/ta-p/3183682
Do I have to erase the existing pre-installed ESXi version 7.0?
Thank you in advance.

6 Replies 6

Why do you not ask this question in the UCS part of the Data Centre in the community? It’s not at all related to Collaboration.

Response Signature

My mistake but I'm afraid I can't change the section now.

I had it moved for you.

Response Signature

collinks2
Level 5
Level 5
Yes you can do a fresh installation of esxi 6.7 but select the option
'preserve Datastore' so you wont loose your existing files and vms

I don't mind about the VMs/Files of the Datastore but anyhow thank you for mentioning.

So the only thing I have to do is to follow the steps of the link I posted?

@silvakizir ,

You'll need two things

1. A bit of intelligence to translate version numbers + some steps may be slightly different, such as needing to "Accept the session" (Step 3)
  2. follow the instructions at https://community.cisco.com/t5/service-providers-knowledge-base/install-cisco-esxi-6-5-0-on-ucs/ta-p/3183682 

And you'll be fine.  The key thing is to make sure you start with the right .iso image.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card