cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FcoE storage ports on FIs

sandevsingh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we have direct attached Netapp storage to the FIs configured as fcoe storage ports, the FIs are in FC-switch mode. I see the netapp flogied into the FIs so the FC part looks good. I was creating a VIF on the Netapp side and tagging it on those ports connected to the FIs to be used for ethernet/nfs traffic. I need to tag vlan 100 from the FI side, but it looks like there is no  way i can do this. The config on the FIs is as below -

FI-A(nxos)# sh run int eth1/23

interface Ethernet1/23

description F: FcoeStorage

pinning border

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 4049

switchport trunk allowed vlan 2000,4049

no shutdown

FI-A(nxos)# sh run int vfc745

interface vfc745

bind interface Ethernet1/23

switchport trunk allowed vsan 2000

no shutdown

The NXOS running on FIs is read-only. How do i allow vlan 100 on int eth1/23??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You'll need to also configuring the port as an Appliance port.  This will make it a "Unified Storage" port rather than just FCoE_Storage port.  When you add the "Appliance Port" role it will allow you to select the trunk VLANs you want to allow.  The FI should then tag the traffic accordingly.

Ex.

interface Ethernet1/1

description AF: UnifiedStorage

no pinning server sticky

pinning server pinning-failure link-down

no cdp enable

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,240,4048-4049

no shutdown

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You'll need to also configuring the port as an Appliance port.  This will make it a "Unified Storage" port rather than just FCoE_Storage port.  When you add the "Appliance Port" role it will allow you to select the trunk VLANs you want to allow.  The FI should then tag the traffic accordingly.

Ex.

interface Ethernet1/1

description AF: UnifiedStorage

no pinning server sticky

pinning server pinning-failure link-down

no cdp enable

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,240,4048-4049

no shutdown

Regards,

Robert

Thanks Robert, that worked... . but why does it have cdp disabled? a feature nice to have...

Also, since the FIs don`t do VPC, what is the best way to connect Netapp to them. Currently I just have one link from each storage head to each FI (head A - FIA and head B - FIB). Lets say to start with, If i connect storage-head-A to both the FIs then I am preety sure my LACP trunk from the Netapp-head-A will not come up as the FIs are not in a vpc pair and hence do not have a system-vpc-mac which will be the lacp-neighbor-id from the Netapp.

Please advise??

You'll have one NetApp head connected to FI-A and the other to FI-B.   You're correct that these will not be aggregated links, but individual.

Robert

So now how does the link failover work in this case? Lets say if I have vif tagged with vlan 100 with an ip of 10.100.100.100/24 on the trunk to FI-A, and if that link goes down, how does the vif failover?

dreambull
Level 1
Level 1

Thats a NetApp question , VIF failover happens at the NetApp side. Depend on your failover configuration the partner node assumes the VIF id and pass the traffic through thats VIF.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card