Views
Helpful
Replies

File Transfer Speeds

sean.thompson
Beginner
Beginner

Hi,

We are the owners of a shiny new UCS system which we plan to use to host a sql cluster, consisting of 2 chassis with 3 blades in each chassis. There is very little advanced customisation at the moment, the vNICs have the windows adapter policy applied. I have installed Windows 2008 R2 on 2 of the blades in one chassis and am confused by the data tranfer rates I am getting between blades.

If I run parallel streams using iperf, I see data transfer rates of arround 9.8gb/s. If I use a single stream, it never exceeds around 1gb/s. File transfers between blades and to netapp storage and tests using SQLIO show similar speeds or slower

I apprecate that this is a bit vague, I am really looking for some pointers as to why this would happen and what I can do to rectify it    - the bandwidth is obviously there, it is just not being utilised          

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sean,

How are you running the tests exactly path-wise?  If you run a test between blades using a vNIC that goes to the SAME fabric interconnect, the traffic remains within UCS.  If your source blade uses a vNIC going to Fabric-A and the destination blade's target vNIC is using Fabric-B, then you're going up to Fabric Interconnect A, to a northbound switch, and back down to Fabric Interconnect B and to the destination blade.

Try to perform your tests using vNICs from Fabric-A only, then compare the results to a Fabric-A -> Fabric-B test.  This could point to a bottleneck northbound of UCS.

Also, iperf is not perfectly suited for Windows performance.  You're better off using ntttcp which is a Windows specific performance tool.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks Robert,

The end goal is to have traffic through a software iSCSI connection to a netapp FAS, however as I am seeing the slow transfer speed just copying an iso between blades in the same chassis I thought that I would try to get that sorted first to minimise the potential bottlenecks.

I'll give NTttcp a try to see what that reports.

Regards

Sean

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Recognize Your Peers