Views
Helpful
Replies

Graceful restart when acknowlegde Host Firmware update

Sandemann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I wonder if there is any setting to set to get a graceful restart, when I update Host Firmware on a Service Profile and select "Reboot now" under Pending Activities. It seems that it just kill the server.

Hopefully it is possible to set it to restart graceful?

/Stig Sand

9 Replies 9

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Stig,

What version of firmware are you using?

I did some research and looks like it is suppose to go a graceful restart, i tested in my lab as well and did see an immediate. This might be a bug, let me reserach if we have one otherwise i will go ahead and file one and will let you know.

Thanks!

./Abhinav

Hi and Thanks!

I'm updating from 2.0.2q to 2.0.3c.

Good to hear it's just not me, that have this issue.

/Stig Sand

Sandemann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

Have you got anywhere with this?

Have serveral servers that need upgrading, but I want them to have an graceful shutdown when I update them

/Stig Sand

Stig,

This is still being worked / discussed. For your current updates, i would recommend you to get a maintenace window and sut down the blades before acking the reboot for the blade to prevent any non-graceful restarts and thus leading to other issues.

If this behaviour needs a fix it will only be hapening in one of the future releases and nothing can be done for the current releases / version you might be running.

Thanks!

./Abhinav

Ok.

Thanks for your time

Can't believe that this bug hasn't been found until now, being as serious as it is!

Stig - have you tried the shutdown method?  I tried that a while back and it wouldn't update the FW if the blade was down.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Robert.

I tried to downgrade from 2.0.3c to 2.0.2q when a server was powered off, and it seemed to work fine.

I also tried to do the otherway around, and it seems to work aswell.

Maybe you have an earlier version then I do?

Sandemann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Just to inform whoever read this

I upgraded 5 blades running Windows Server 2008 from 2.0.2q to 2.0.3c.

I took a shutdown in the OS and changed the host policy when the server was powered off.

Sadly the server was powered on by "acknowledge the reboot", just to go to the login screen for Windows, and the have an ungraceful shutdown.

So the trick do take a graceful shutdown in the OS, seems not to work

Does anyone know if this is still an issue?  I am planning a 2.0(4a) to 2.1(1f) upgrade and was wondering what I should prepare for.

Thanks,

Bob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: