Ho to Boot from SD Card with B200 M3 with 2.1-3a

Stefan Gruber
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

can someone help me?

I have to boot my B200 M3 from my SD Flex Card 16 GB from Cisco

I made the following settings

-Servers\Policies\root\local Disc Config Policy  --> Flex Flash State = Enable + Mode = No Local Storage or Any Configuration (both doesent work)

-Servers\Policies\root\Boot Policy\ 1) CD Rom (doesent work)

-Servers\Policies\root\Boot Policy\ 1) CD Rom 2) Floppy (doesent work)

I can Boot the ESX ISO but i don't se any Disk to install. The SD Card is in the lower slot

Can u help me?

PS: the hole System has 2.13a

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Stefan,

Have you first enabled SD card support in local disk configuration policy ?

If yes, is that policy part of service profile ?

Once you associate the service-profile, enter the BIOS and make changes to device boot order.

---------- from above doc -----------

When FlexFlash is enabled in a local disk policy, and a server is capable of supporting SD cards, the FlexFlash controller will be enabled during service profile deployment.

In order to manually boot from the HV partition, Local Disk should be present in the boot policy used in the Service Profile, and be launched from the BIOS boot menu (F6).

Limitation

If FlexFlash is enabled and the boot policy contains Local Disk, SAN Boot, or iSCSI Boot, then the boot order cannot be determined. You should disable FlexFlash before using any of these boot options, and enable it after bootup is complete.

-------------------------------------

Padma

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Stefan,

Take a look at this link: https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3986184#3986184

It worked, when I implemented last week.

Best Regards,

Hi does this work with SD Card or USB Stick?

I tested it with SD Card and it doesent work.

Hello Stefan,

Minimal support for boot from SD cardis introduced in 2.1.2 a version

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/UCS_28313.html#wp58530

Please create local disk configuration policy to enable Flexflash device and configure the boot device order from BIOS menu( by manually interrupting the boot sequence )

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2.1/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_1_chapter_0110001.html

Padma

Hello Padramas

thanks for the Links, i see this yet.

I search a "How to" that i can choose the SD Card as install Disk.

Step 1 - 6 are ready.

No SD Card to Choose.

Have somone experience with SD Card Boot?

Please help

Hello Stefan,

Have you first enabled SD card support in local disk configuration policy ?

If yes, is that policy part of service profile ?

Once you associate the service-profile, enter the BIOS and make changes to device boot order.

---------- from above doc -----------

When FlexFlash is enabled in a local disk policy, and a server is capable of supporting SD cards, the FlexFlash controller will be enabled during service profile deployment.

In order to manually boot from the HV partition, Local Disk should be present in the boot policy used in the Service Profile, and be launched from the BIOS boot menu (F6).

Limitation

If FlexFlash is enabled and the boot policy contains Local Disk, SAN Boot, or iSCSI Boot, then the boot order cannot be determined. You should disable FlexFlash before using any of these boot options, and enable it after bootup is complete.

-------------------------------------

Padma

1) First i made on new Local Disk Config Policy: Name SD_Card with Mode: "Any Configuration" or "no local storage" and with enabling the radio button next to FlexFlash State.

2) I made a New Service Profile Template with this "Local Disk Config" and i mad a "boot Policy" with firs boot Device = CD Rom

3) I made a Service Profile with one Blade Server an reboot the Blade server.

4) In the BIOS Settings I dont see any SD Cards from there I can boot. Only this

-vHDD1.22

-vDVD1.22

-vFDD1.22

-UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell

4) I start from the ESX 5.1 iso and i dont see any SD Card to install ESX

Have anyone a running config with SD Card Boot?

Stefan,

Try to dissascoiate the Service Profile then re associate and see if the SD card shows UP.  I personally use Any Config and enable flex on my service profile. 

Steve McQuerry

UCS - Technical Marketing

Thanks Steve

I delete the Service Profile kompletly and made a new one from my Template.

The Template have the following Policies 

1) Local Disk Config = CD Rom

2) Local Disk Config Policy:  Mode: = "Any Configuration"

3) Local Disk Config Policy:  with enabling the radio button next to FlexFlash State.

On the BIOS Settings (KVM) i dont see any SD Cards

If iBoot with an ESX ISO ant try to install this on the SD card i don't see any disk to install.

Is the Policy setting 2) correct?

Should i activate some special Bios Policiy settings?

i Dont now why, now i see the card

This are the settings

1) Local Disk Config: 1=CD Rom 2= Floppy  3= HDD

2) Local Disk Config Policy:  Mode: = "Any Configuration"

3) Local Disk Config Policy:  with enabling the radio button next to FlexFlash State.

THANKS

asharwan
Level 1
Level 1
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: