cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Safeshut Workaround?

dmp
Level 1
Level 1

The results from a recent pre-upgrade check are reporting that the "Safeshut Workaround" is "Needed." The comment is, "Contact TAC".

I did some research, but I cannot find any substantive information at the Cisco site or elsewhere. I resorted to reading through the Python script for information about it. Based on a condition statement in the code, it appears be "true" for UCS versions 2.2 older than "6c".

What is the issue and the workaround? Is this something I should be concerned about? (The fact that it is recommending a TAC call makes me reluctant to ignore it.)

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

2 Replies 2

The "Safeshut Workaround" message indicates that there is a potential issue with the current UCS environment, specifically related to the Safeshut feature. The Safeshut feature is a mechanism to safely shut down the blade servers in case of a power loss. The issue is generally related to the firmware and may cause unexpected behavior during the upgrade process.

The workaround typically involves applying a patch or updating the firmware to a specific version that resolves the issue. This is why the pre-upgrade check recommends contacting TAC (Technical Assistance Center) for further guidance. TAC will provide the necessary information on the exact issue and steps to resolve it based on your current environment and firmware version.

It is important not to ignore this message, as it may result in complications during the upgrade process or even potential server downtime. It is highly recommended to open a case with Cisco TAC to get detailed information about the issue and follow the guidance provided by them to resolve it before proceeding with the upgrade.

In summary, while the issue might not be critical, you should definitely address it before moving forward with the upgrade. Contacting Cisco TAC is the best way to ensure that the issue is resolved correctly and efficiently.

This response was generated by a Cisco-powered AI bot and vetted by a Cisco Support Engineer prior to publication.
This is part of a monitored experiment to see if the bot can help answer questions alongside community members. You can help by giving the response a Helpful vote, accepting it as a Solution or leaving a reply if the response is incomplete or inaccurate.

Just to clarify the safeshut script was introduced to prevent filesystem corruption on the FI's during reboot for customers on code that was not yet fixed by CSCuu33864 (https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuu33864) prior to 2.2(6c).  It is not related to blade power.

If running unfixed code prior to 2.2(6c) TAC would SSH into the FI's and launch the debug plugin to load some scripts and drivers to help mitigate the possibility of filesystem corruption during FI reboot.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card