Views
Helpful
Replies

The bitter importens on management and reporting on every system and solution

chald
Level 1
Level 1

Hello folks,

I have had a real live setup where there was a coling problem.

all cooling went down and the user did not spend mony on survaling the tempeture.

The UCS chassis shut down automaticly when it was to hot and booted it self when there was cold enough.

FC is running trough FC links to N5K and FC Storrage the N5K N7K and 6509 whet down and need'ed a manualy boot up.

UCS was halted in a cant find OS partion because of the unified FC boot solution.

Everyting came up when booted alle the servers.

My question is there a switch or setting to control a reboot of the server if the server is haled and cant find Operation System partion.

Maybe a automaticly after a confgured time ?

Kind of like a error-diable config senario.

Off cause i know that is they had mangement and allerting configured this would not have been such a problem.

They would have controlled the cooling better and opening the racks or did a controlled shutdown so it was not so extreme conditions.

5 Replies 5

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Did this happen for B series only, C-Series only or a cobination of both?

-Kenny

This is onlye B serie solution.

I have tried to do a Service Profile with no FC support to get the same error. (No OS Boot)

I saw that there was a bios watch dog timer where i could chose reset ( reboot ) of the server.

But in my case with my software with vmware 4.1 it just keep rebooting every 5 or 10 min i choose.

I have created a TAC SR case on it. for a fix or solution for not happening again. bacause this could happen not only because of missing cooling but also when doing a complete shutdown of a DC.

-Christian Hald

Christian,

Thanks for the additional information. Just to be sure we are on the same page... are you looking for a possible way to control how servers are powered up after a shut down (power outage or coolling issue like in your case).

I'm a little confused with the initial post and your new update.

-Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Yes you are correct.

Would like to know if there is a way to avoid this case where the server hangs with no OS to boot.

In our acceptance test we only had FI down at a time. And did offcause not see the error.

Christian,

If all you want to do is just define the power state after a sudden power loss, try the following:

Go to the Service Profile and click on it

Once there, go to policies and define a new BIOS policy if there is none and give it a name (if there is one, it will show up in "BIOS Policy Instance", if that is the case, click on it instead of creating a new policy) >  go to "Resume Ac On Power Loss" and define what you need/want.

I hope that is what you looked for, otherwise let me know, please.

-Kenny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: