Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C460 M4 - Drives not detected

rui.cruz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am having an issue with a UCS C460 M4, which I am unable to see the drives.

This all started when i bought the server, which came with a broken SAS controller. I was able to see all of the drives, but randomly the controller would appear as failed in BIOS and all of my Configs would be lost. I attempted to flash the SAS card and after that i could no longer see the drives. They all appear with a Orange light on the case.

I requested a new SAS controller, but the issue still maintains, I can't see the drives. I have tried to re seat all the connections and factory default the card.

Can someone help me with some more troubleshooting steps to try and figure out the issue ?

Thank you very much !

4 Replies 4

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There could be issues with the backplane itself the drives slots physically interface with, or the internal sas cables that connect the controller to the expander/backplane.

If you attempt to run a HUU ISO, does it show the sas raid controller and the drives? https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286265859/type/283850974/release/4.1(2g)

When you go into the CIMC, does it show the drives attached to the SAS controller?

The drives may be flagged with a foreign config or be in jbod mode.

If the SAS hba sees the drives, but is not presenting them to the OS, then that's a matter of creating some sort of VD/raid volume,,, or if you are trying to use jbod mode,,, then marking the drives as jbod.

Kirk...

rui.cruz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Kirok,

Thank you very much for you reply.

Replying to your questions:

If you attempt to run a HUU ISO, does it show the sas raid controller and the drives? - I have attempted to flash the card, so i know that the card shows up, but regarding the drives i am not sure, i will need to check.

When you go into the CIMC, does it show the drives attached to the SAS controller? - No, it does not show any drive connected. (Phy_Drive_Count.jpg)

The drives may be flagged with a foreign config or be in jbod mode.- I have attempted to use new SAS Drives out-of-box, factory default the card, attempted with and without JBOD mode, and still no drives.

If the SAS hba sees the drives, but is not presenting them to the OS ... - I don't have any OS installed due to not being able to see the drives. I unable even to reach the step of creating the VD,

I send a picture of the BIOS showing that are no Backplanes connected (BIOS_backplane_missing.jpg), which makes me point out it may be the backplane. But since the enclouse is detected, and the errors that appear come from the enclosure (Enclosure_Phy_error.jpg) it gets me a bit confused of what is what.

I can attempt to flash the backplane, but i think it won't be successful , since its not detected.

To mention that i have re seated all the cables already multiple times.

Thank you once again.

You mentioned you replaced the SAS raid controller.  DId you reapply the HUU firmware for the new sas controller?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/c460m4/install/C460/raid.html

c460m4 drive mapping.jpg

In the event that one of the drives, or the drivebay/backplane port error is causing the sas controller to hang, you might want to try removing all but one drive, and disconnect the sas cable from the backplane or sas controller (which ever is easier to get to).

I would test each of the backplane group pictured above, with just a single drive.

Power cycle server, and see if the single drives show up.

Depending on what exact sas controller you have, you may only have 2 sas ports, or 3 like the picture above shows.

c460m4 3 port sas card.jpgc460m4 2 port sas card.jpg

In any event, we are testing if a single drive in a isolated drive port group, can be detected.

Since your screen capture actually shows an error for ports 9 and 5 (connected via port s1), it would probably be best to start with single drive in slot #6, with only backplane port #2 connected.

Kirk...

rui.cruz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Kirk,

DId you reapply the HUU firmware for the new sas controller? - Yes, I have flashed the card & the SAS expander. Still can't see a backplane and the drives.

I sent the image regarding the errors on ports 9 and 5 but there are the same errors on all ports where the disks all the disks are connected. In this case I have errors for all 6 disks that i have and the number of the port follows everytime I move the disk from its position.

I have tried the process you sent with the connections, but the issue maintains, i never manage to see the disk in any position.

So i think that i will need to replace the backplane since no test showed any drive.

Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card