cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vNIC - PCIOrder - How to find out about it?

SamCU
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just tried to create vNIC via redfish api and came to know that "PciOrder" parameter is required.  How do you find it out and define it as x:y especially when creating multiple vNICs is desired?

Another question I've -- Is it possible to create a vNIC with all parameters as needed in just one api call?  I tried but it didn't work. So I created a vNIC and modified with the parameters with multiple api calls.

Please advise,

Thanks

3 Replies 3

SamCU
Level 1
Level 1

Hmm no one have faced this issue? 

Documentation mention about it - "PCIOrder is a string of the format x.y, where x is the PCI device number (0 to 255, the upper limit depends upon maximum number of PCI buses supported by the platform), and y is the PCI function number (0 to 7)"

I don't know how to find out this information ahead of time and how does the order matter.  This is for C480M5 with 1455 VIC.

Thanks

Brian Morrissey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you tried setting it up manually the way you want on 1 server via the UI and then just reading the values back?

I believe the order needs to be contagious for example eth0 is 0.1, eth1 is 0.2, eth2 is 0.3 and if you tried to make eth3 0.7 it would complain.

The function if I am not mistaken relates to the bus which only the VIC13xx's had the option to set bus 0 or 1, the others were all single bus 0.  Example payloads of what you are trying to do might be helpful as well.

PCIOrder thing still doesn't make sense to me.  UI show PCI slot number which goes on increasing as you go on creating vNICs e.g.. 0-17 and a number gets chosen for each vNIC. 

In my case, 4 vNICs created has PCIOrder 0.0. 0.3.  When I tried to create a VNIC using 0.4 in the redfish api call, it came out as "already in use".  So I created a vNIC in UI which got 1.0. Tried api call again using 1.1 and it worked until 1.7. All these vNIC have slot numbers within 0-17 range seen in UI.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card