cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ensuring ESXi vmnics map specifically to UCS vNICs

JDMils
Level 1
Level 1

We are using NSX-T Transport Profiles to map ESXi vmnics to the NVDS (NSX-T) distributed switch by name. So vmnic2 & vmnic5 in ESXi are automatically mapped to the NSX-T dvSwitch.

Problem:

I have a UCS Service Template setup with the following vNIC setup:

SHD-ESXi-A
SHD-ESXi-B

SHD-MGMT-A

SHD-MGMT-B

SHD-NVDS-A

SHD-NVDS-B

There is one ESXi hosts (ServerM401) in the vCenter cluster already using the template- was setup by another engineer who has since left.

I created 2 more service profiles from the template, 1 were assigned to B200-M4 servers (ServerM402) and 1 to a B200-M5 server (ServerM501).

Here's what I get for NIC placement on the M4s:

ServerM401: SHD-MGMT-A, SHD-MGMT-B, SHD-NVDS-A, SHD-ESXi-B, SHD-ESXi-A, SHD-NVDS-B

ServerM402: SHD-MGMT-A, SHD-MGMT-B, SHD-ESXi-A, SHD-ESXi-B, SHD-NVDS-A, SHD-NVDS-B

The M5 server's NIC placement looks like this:

ServerM501: SHD-MGMT-A, SHD-MGMT-B, SHD-ESXi-A, SHD-ESXi-B, SHD-NVDS-A, SHD-NVDS-B

When I look at the ESXI host and how the vmnics are set, I get this:

ServerM401: vmnic0, vmnic3, vmnic5, vmnic4, vmnic1, vmnic2

ServerM402: vmnic0, vmnic1, vmnic5, vmnic3, vmnic4, vmnic2

ServerM501: vmnic0, vmnic2, vmnic1, vmnic3, vmnic5, vmnic4

I don't understand why VMware ESXi has named the vmnics so differently. Especially with the M4 servers- exact same servers, same firmware, yet the Service Profile NIC placement is different. Do you think someone has manually altered it? All the service profiles are bound to the same service profile template.

Is there a way to map specific vmnics to specific vNICs?

2 Replies 2

Thanks for the reply, so it looks like it's not possible to automatically assign the ESXi vmnics in any specific order and based on the link you sent, and other investigations I have done, it seems that I need to manually re-order the vmnics, so I'm using this link to do that on the OS level: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2091560

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card