Views
Helpful
Replies

Caller ID on an analog device

Adriaan Mol
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've an analog device (Siemens Gigaset Sxx) on an FXS port of an UC500. Our customer wants to see who is calling him. The Siemens Gigaset device supports to present the caller id. Maybe an dtmf or fsk problem, or support the uc500 no incomming number presentation on the fxs ?

Who knows ?

8 Replies 8

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If I understand correctly what you are asking.....the FXS connected device will be assigned an extension (usually 30x number) which should appear on other IP Phones when extension calls are placed.

When the FXS makes a 9+ call out of the system, it will use the Caller ID associated with the whole system (set in CCA).

For calls coming into the system, Caller ID comes from the source, and depends on what your PSTN connection is (FXO, T1-PRI, SIP Trunk).

Steve DiStefano

Systems Engineer

US Field Channel Sales team

(Cisco currently closed till After New Year)

TAC and STAC are available for emergencies

It is not the outgoing caller id , that works fine. When there is an incomming call , i can't see on the analog device the number of the person who is calling me. On the IP phone it works fine. But only not on the analog device.

Have you confirmed the caller ID works on either the FXS or your phone independently? 

You can test your phone on a POTS line that you know has caller ID, for example.  Also, you can take a phone that you know has caller ID working and try it on your FXS port. Now you will at least know if the trouble is on the phone side or the UC500 side.

Also, with a test set you can hear FSK caller ID signal on the FXS port.  It sounds like a short blast of static between ring cycle 1 and 2 (sort oflike an old 1200 baud modem if you remember those..)  If you don;t hear this there may be a configuration for the FXS port to enable caller ID.  Sorry, this part I am not so familiar with, but I am sure someone else can tell you if such an option exists.

Brandon

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Yes I've tested it with my testphone on the line . This phone works fine. Only on a fxs port  i dont see the caller id. Maybe the reason is we (in Holland) use DTMF for clip presentation ? .

The uc500 only uses FSK ?

Adriaan

Countries outside North America do not follow Bellcore FXO caller-id standards. There are a range of standards supported on the FXO cards. In Europe they spill the caller-id before the first ring and then start ringing the call, as opposed to between the 1st and 2nd rings as in North America.

Here's some interesting CLI to try.  I am not sure why a localization of a UC500 with CCA wouldnt take care of this for us?

UC500(config)#voice-port 1/0/0
UC500(config-voiceport)#caller-id ?
  alerting    Define caller id alerting method
  enable    Enable caller id on this port

"caller-id alerting" options are based on the cptone setting on the router:
Bellcore countries (US, Canada, Australia etc) will see only
- caller-id alerting { ring }
Non-Bellcore countries will see other options
- caller-id alerting {line-reversal | pre-ring | ring {1|2}}

I've not heard of any problems in connecting our FXO cards outside North America with caller-id...

Problem solved,

Dont's set the CP-tone to NL.  a bug.....

Hey Adriaan,

Could you give us a quick config-piece to show how you got this working?  I have a similar issue with my Siemens Gigaset that refuses to show callerid as well.

thanks!

Manfred

I've also experienced trouble with caller-id on FXS ports and have inplemented ATA boxes instead on recomendation by our Cisco rep until today. A client called and wanted to add a analogue phone to the UC, only problem was that they had no ATA ports left. I connected the phone to the FXS port and opened a TAC case to see if it was possible to make it work. The TAC engineer had no idea about compability with Siemens phones and asked me to phone Siemens to see what timings they used for recieving caller-id.

I googled and found this thread (don't know how I missed it before) and got it working. The right commands for Swedish analogue phones is as following.

UC500# conf t

UC500(config)# voice-port 0/0/X     (where X is the number of your FXS port)

UC500(config-voiceport)# caller-id alerting line-reversal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: