cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Faxing

Jeremy Lizzotte
Level 1
Level 1

I want to start out by saying I understand Fax through IP is not perfect. With that being said, we put in cisco UC500 devices into businesses with old PBXs. My question is this, most of our clients already have SIP through Time Warner and most are either on an Arris modem or a Cisco DPC2203C. Before we come in, the fax obviously works fine as well as any alarm that is already on the property, what I wanna know is what is so different about the UC500 and the other gateways that makes faxing and alarms so difficult? Alot of our installs end up needing new alarm systems with CDMA Dialers put in. or some other form of rigging for faxes to work. Any help would be appreciated. We typically use G711ulaw passthrough just to help with that Thank you

3 Replies 3

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Jeremy,

I am going to assume you are hooking the alarm system and fax machines into the FXS ports of the UC-500 and using them as analogue extensions right?

The UC-500 should not have an issue with conducting Faxing or Alarms over the analogue ports what-so-ever, but if the trunk lines are IP based and not either PSTN/ISDN (BRI/PRI) then yes you may come across certain types of issues, this is wholly dependant on your carrier supporting these services over the SIP trunks.

Can you please verify your topology layout and how it is all interconnection please?

Cheers,

David Trad.

**When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) **

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

I am sort of in the same boat trying to figure this out as well. I have a SIP trunk and am looking into enabling the faxing but what I read was that it required a PSTN line?

We are on a hosted VOIP phone system right now, so we don't have analog lines or a fax machine, we get it all through email and that's what I want to setup. I was thinking maybe I could port my fax number to the SIP provider and the UC560 would convert the fax to email but now I am not so sure.

Fax to email over SIP trunks is not supported and does not work.