Views
Helpful
Replies

phone loose dial tone but inbound & outbound calls work

inventica
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I’m having a peculiar problem with some Cisco 504 phones/extensions and UC560. I wonder if it could be licensing related.

We have 3 phones (extensions 106, 108, 111) that often loose dial tone and can’t forward calls but inbound and outbound calls work! On UC560 we can’t see any problems, “show ephone” confirms that all phones are operational. If we reboot these phones – they work fine for a day and then stop working all together. LCDs on the phones don’t show signs of a  problem either, it’s just weird when pick up the phone and there is no dial tone, but it works! We tried changing the phones – didn’t help, so it appears that these three extensions have something wrong with them, but the config is the same for all phones.

Initially we started with about 14 x Cisco 504 phones and the system has been working great for a year. Then we added a number of IP phones for remote teleworkers connecting over VPN

Remote workers work in a different time zone and not all at the same time, but on some occasions we had more users trying to connect than we had licenses. We have 22 user licenses and on some occasions we had 23 people trying to connect (504 + IP) so 23rd was refused connection.

Could this problem have anything to do with licensing i.e. if more users trying to connect the system kicks out somebody else?

How can I get to the root of this problem?

Here is show ver ouput

Cisco UC560-BRI-K9 (MPC8378) processor (revision 0x100) with 511166K/13122K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID XXXXXXXX

MPC8378 CPU Rev: Part Number 0x80C4, Revision ID 0x21

22 User Licenses

4 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

2 ISDN Basic Rate interfaces

2 terminal lines

1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module

4 Voice FXS interfaces

1 Voice MoH interface

1 cisco service engine(s)

64K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

254464K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

I would appreciate any tip! Thanks guys

3 Replies 3

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi There,

I would encourage you to upgrade your system to SWP 8.2, this should increase your base license level to cover the overage that is taking place.. Recently Cisco upgraded the default licensing on the appliances and increased them, I guess to cover market demands, but a BIG win for the consumers and partners as well.

Give that a shot, if the problem still persists, you should probably consult the Cisco Doctors (SBS - Cisco Small Business Support) and have them investigate the problem further

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

If I'm not mistaken, 8.2 will bring the total number of users to 24. We currently have 22 licenses. But i'm still not sure why 3 phones loose dial tone every day

Hi There,

That might be a little beyond the Forums assistance, can I convince you to log a SBS case please?

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *