cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA504g phones freezing

matthewkhil
Level 1
Level 1

Many of our SPA504g phones have been freezing recently (non responsive to any buttons on the phone or off-hook).

They are running 7.5.5b as 7.5.6 has a bug.

We have a range of hardware revisions (eg 1.02(0001), 1.04).

They are all connected to Cisco CE500 PoE switch and have a dedicated VLAN and are secured from untrusted networks.

We use Asterisk 12.2.

The issue may be occurring when they re-provision themselves via http every 24 hours, but can't be sure of that.

Recently some changes were made to the provisioning file - is there some way we can run a validation process on our XML configuration? I would expect if that were the problem the phones wouldn't work at all though.

When power cycled they work fine.

I got the impression that others were having similar issues a few years back but it was resolved with firmware updates. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The issue may be occurring when they re-provision themselves via http every 24 hours, but can't be sure of that.

No one can be sure, but you should turn on syslog&debug and catch the messages. It may reveal important facts related to the issue. No one else can obtain such kind of valuable information, so you may decide to do it.

Even in the case you will not understand the catched messages, they may help us to give you a better advice.

is there some way we can run a validation process on our XML configuration

Beyond loading the configuration in question into test phone ? As far as I know, no.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No one can be sure, but you should turn on syslog&debug and catch the messages. It may reveal important facts related to the issue. No one else can obtain such kind of valuable information, so you may decide to do it.

Even in the case you will not understand the catched messages, they may help us to give you a better advice.

is there some way we can run a validation process on our XML configuration

Beyond loading the configuration in question into test phone ? As far as I know, no.

Thanks I will try that.

A phone that was completely frozen just now completely restored to normal functionality after mashing random buttons and taking it on/off hook for 10-20 seconds (no power cycle needed).

While it was frozen, the web interface was responsive (physical phone screen/buttons were frozen)

We have hundreds of phones in few countries and we never hear about such behavior.

I suspect the symptoms are caused by specific network packets sent to phone from somewhere. "Catch packets, syslog&debug" is still the best advice I have  ...

Thanks Dan,

Ironically it turns out that the freezing problem went away when I used the IP address instead of the DNS name of the syslog server in the provisioning XML (The syslog dns name was entered into the spaconfig file about 2 weeks ago).

The freezing was occurring when all the following conditions were met:

-A change to the provisioning file had been made

-The phone hit its resync timer/time

-The syslog server field was populated with a DNS name instead of an IP address

Strangely enough the syslog server was receiving log messages from the phones even when they were configured with the dns name of the syslog server.

Simply removing the syslog line from the xml provisioning file wasn't enough since the setting on the phone still remains. It must be overwritten with a new setting or an empty syslog server xml tag

Also I notice that my DNS search search order is set to "Manual", but we're using DHCP and haven't set any static DNS servers, so it should be set to "DHCP,Manual".

This doesn't seem to affect proxy detection through SRV records, but it does seem to prevent the LDAP corporate directory feature working as I've just found out.

I'm guessing that this could also be related to the freezing that I was seeing when using the dns name of the syslog server in the spaconfig.

A change to the provisioning file had been made

The phone hit its resync timer/time

Our phones are configured the same way.

The syslog server field was populated with a DNS name instead of an IP address

I'm paranoid administrator a lot. I decided not to be in risk of log messages lost when DNS become unreachable, so we use IP here.

It seems to explain why you has been affected by issue and we didn't seen it.

As I claimed above, there is reason to use IP instead of name of syslog&debug server and I know no disadvatages, so you should consider to use IP ...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: