cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA525G with UC540 - caller id and called-name - phone display help needed

alltraders001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a UC540 with 18 SPA525G2 phones (4 deployed using VPN).

The phone call quality is great, even between Australia and Thailand.

Our first issue is that the display on the phones doesn't show the  callers name (when the caller is saved in the company directory or in  the phones directory). It only shows the callers phone number twice. I  can't find any way to get it to display the callers name if the callers  number is in our directory. Please help me with this if you can.

Our second issue is that we have multiple departments with multiple  incoming phone numbers coming into the system. Some of our phones  receive calls from multiple departments (multiple incoming numbers). In  order to answer the phone appropriately we need to see which of our  phone numbers (or corresponding department name) is being called. Cisco  advertised this feature with the UC500 series and it is called  "called-name". I have looked but cant find anyway to turn this on for  our phones. Can someone please help me with this?

As you could imagine, without these two advertised features working  on our system, we are having difficulty answering the phones the way we  would like.

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Michael

40 Replies 40

Hi,

I've been speaking with Level 2 Cisco support about this and it appears that the BLAST-Group uses SIP and not SSCP. The SIP protocol is not passing on the called number (Note it's the internal number/extension not the external number that was called)

It does work with hunt-group. I've explained that this is useless for front line call answering (i.e. the purpose of the display!)

It's been escalated further.

Hi Tim,

I've been speaking with Level 2 Cisco support about this and it appears  that the BLAST-Group uses SIP and not SSCP. The SIP protocol is not  passing on the called number (Note it's the internal number/extension  not the external number that was called)

This here does not make sense, SIP as a standard passes all information through and the two end points (A & B) filter out what they do not want, unless Cisco have striped the SIP protocol down to accommodate the IOS?????

This almost sounds like there is a bigger translation issue taking place, but that could just be me jumping to conclusions.

Keep us updated, as this is more and more sounding like a bug, but why it isnt hitting everyone needs to discovered.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

If you use hunt groups it does work...

We very rarely use hunt groups as most of the time you want the call answered immediately.

Sent from my iPhone

Using hunt-groups doesn't mean that the call isn't answered immediately,

It simply means that the people logged in in the hunt is committed to answer the call as fast as possible.

And diligent about loggin off when they cannot do the above.

Also with blast, one can always think, that others will take the calls, then leading to delays.

Efficient answering is better reached with less confusion in hunts, not blasts.

Sorry that makes no sense?

When a call comes into the company it should come into the receptionists on duty -all at once. (cca blast group)

And identified

There is no logging in or out of the group. There are 6 people who answer the phone if the receptionist is busy - but the caller intent must be identified.

Sent from my iPhone

I was not referring to identify the called number, that is discussed in other posts of this thread..

I was referring to speed and efficiency of answering calls with a proper hunt group, for the reasons explained above.

Sorry again I'm not sure what you mean ?

I have a team of 8 staff Waiting to take calls. They cannot wait for a hunt group to get to the next available to identify and answer the call.

A blast group rings all available staff but doesn't identify as it does in a hunt group. This is a problem/bug (from someone using cca only!)

Sent from my iPhone

Please read my post above. It explains why a proper hunt with login/logout is more efficient than blast.

At least, that is my opinion derived from experience.

I think what the TAC meant, is that parallel hunt groups are configured under SIP, not SCCP.

My supposition is that In doing so, the effect of "service dnis dir-lookup", is lost. You can notice that in fact that is proprietary SCCP feature, as it displays the string on the status line. Instead, when using a configuration all contained to ephones and telephony-service, it works.

Makes sense to me.

Hello all,

Just an update on the original issue:

This is currently being looked at, and will be forwarded to the developement team to find out if we are planning to add support for this, or if it can be accomplished another way.

Issue:

Called-number-display feature does not work with parrallel hunt groups.(Blast groups.)  Parrallel hunt groups use SIP application level forking, which does not support directory lookup.

Thank you,

Darren

Hi Darren,

I wish to thank you for everything you are doing, it is good to see that this is getting the attention it really does deserve, it is an ongoing problem and for those who do need it, knowing that someone is actually actively working on it will bring some peace of mind... So again, THANK YOU!!!

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *