cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Specify custom DST dates

Tony Tuccillo
Level 1
Level 1

We have SPA525G2 IP phones and would like to know how to configure custom daylight savings time dates. We are in Australia and the firmware appears to be based on the northern hemisphere DST dates which are a few weeks different to that of the southern hemisphere.

Thanks!

9 Replies 9

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Firmware is neither southern nor northern hemisphere patched. Start/Stop DST dates are matter of configuration, thus configure phone, especially Daylight Saving Time Rule according your wishes.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

For instance, the USA turns their clocks an hour forward on the second Sunday in March and an hour back on the first Sunday in November.

In Australia the clocks go forward an hour on the first Sunday in October and then back an hour on the first Sunday in April.

Our phones automatically changed their clocks on the second Sunday in March instead of the proper regional day of the first Sunday in April.

So I've had to manually change all our phones twice in a month and have had to do this for the last few DST changes as well. 

These are stand alone VoIP phones connected direct to the Internet and not through a central server.

I've set the time zone to GMT+10 

I use Australian NTP servers

0.au.pool.ntp.org

1.au.pool.ntp.org

The workaround for now has been to manually change the time zones to make the phones display the correct time.

So my question is how can we make the phones change their time on the proper regional day?

Thanks,

Tony

Be sure we understand different countries are changing time at different dates..

I responded already your question, and even Richard Bradfield has responded you.

Have you an issue to follow those advices ?

Hi Dan,

Thanks but as indicated in my reply above I have set the parameters Richard mentions.The only option that does not apply is Automatic Mode as these phones are not connected to an administration server.

Tony

What value you configured to Daylight Saving Time Rule ? Is it proper rule for AU ? If yes, how you verified there's issue with it ?

ah, ok, no we're getting some where. I presume the answer to my question is the proper configuration of the Daylight Savings Time Rule. I'll investigate.

Thanks Dan

I found this for any and all to reference.

======================================

Found some further info:

1: How do I configure DayLight Savings Time?

A:
SPA supports auto adjustment for daylight saving time. To enable this feature,
the administrator must configure the < Daylight Saving Time Rule> (regional) parameter.
This parameter is a rule with 3 fields. Each field is separated by semicolon (;)
as shown below:

start=< start-time>;end=< end-time>;save=< save-time>

where:

< start-time> and < end-time> are of the form: < month>/< day>/< weekday>HH:[mm[:ss]]]
< save-time> is of form: |HH:[mm[:ss]]]
< month> = 1,2,3,..,12 (for Jan, Feb, .., Dec)
< day> = |1,2,3,..,31
< weedday> = 1, 2, 3, .., 7 (for Mon, Tue, .., Sun), or 0 which has special meaning

HH = hour (0-23), mm = minute (0-59), ss = second (0-59)

< start-time> and < end-time> specify the start and end time-date of daylight saving
time and is the amount of hour/min/sec to add to the current time during
daylight saving period. The < save-time> value can be preceded by a negative (-) sign
if subtraction is desired instead of addition.

If < weekday> is 0, it means the date to start or end daylight saving is at exactly
the given date. In that case, the value must not be negative. If < weekday>
is not zero, then the daylight saving starts or ends on the on or after
the given date if < day> is positive, or on or before the given date if < day> is
negative. If < day> is -1, it means the < weekday> on or before the end-of-the-month
(in other words the last occurrence of < weekday> in that month).

Optional values inside [ ] are assumed to be 0 if they are not specified.
Midnight means 0:0:0 of the given date.

Example 1:
Starts at midnight on 1st Sunday of April; ends at midnight on the last Sunday
of October; add 1 hour (USA, N. America). Below are all equivalent rules:

start=4/1/7/0:0:0;end=10/31/7/0:0:0;­ save=1
start=4/1/7;end=10/-1/7;save=1
start=4/1/7/0;end=10/-1/7/0;save=1­

Example 2:
Starts at midnight on last Sunday of April; ends at midnight on the last Sunday
of September; add 1 hour (Egypt):

start=4/-1/7;end=9/-1/7;save=1 (Egypt)

Example 3:
Starts at midnight on first Sunday of October; ends at midnight on the 3rd
Sunday of March; add 1 hour (New Zealand):

start=10/1/7;3/22/7;save=1 (New Zealand)

The effective offset depends on several configuration values, but  the Daylight Saving Time Rule is one of most important. The following may fit Australian policy:

Time Zone: GMT+10:00
Daylight Saving Time Rule: start=10/1/7/2;end=4/1/7/3;save=1

You mentioned no firmware version and some versions (I'm unsure which one) have issue related to southern hemisphere rules. In such case the reverse rule needs to be used instead:

Time Zone: GMT+11:00
Daylight Saving Time Rule: start=4/1/7/3;end=10/1/7/2;save=-1­

According ...

Found some further info

It seems you discovered Administrators Guide. So sorry, I assumed you are aware of such document already so I didn't mentioned it. It's basic guide  any administrator needs to be familiar with.

I don't know if you have followed below

Configuring Date and Time Parameters on Your Phone

The date and time for your phone normally come from the phone server. However, some date and time parameters can be modified:

STEP 1 Press Setup.

STEP 2 Scroll to Device Administration and press Select.

STEP 3 Scroll to Date/Time and press Select.

STEP 4 Highlight the date and time setting that you want to change:

Using Advanced Phone Features Using Star Codes Cisco SPA525G and Cisco SPA525G2 SIP IP Phone User Guide 77 4

• Time Zone—Adds or subtracts hours to Greenwich Mean Time, or Western European Time. Press the Right Arrow key to display the time zones. Highlight the desired time zone and press Save.

Daylight Saving—Adjusts the time on your phone at the twice-yearly adjustment intervals for daylight saving time. Press the Left and Right Arrow keys to toggle Daylight Saving Time to on (checked) or off (unchecked).

• Automatic Mode—Configures your phone to receive the time and date from the phone server. Press the Left and Right Arrow keys to toggle automatic mode on (checked) or off (unchecked). Press Set.

• NTP Server 1 and NTP Server 2—Enter a name or IP address of a Network Time Protocol (NTP) server to receive the time and date from a Network Time Protocol (NTP) server and press Set.

• Set Current Time Manually—Press the Right Arrow key to set the date and time manually. Use the Left and Right Arrow keys to move between the year, month, date, hour, and minute. Use the Up and Down Arrow keys to change the value. Press Save.

NOTE If your phone is connected to an administration server that sets these values, any changes you make to the date or time are lost when rebooting the phone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: