Views
Helpful
Replies

UNVERIFIED ATTENDEES ON WEBEX MEETING

FrejusMA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi team, and Webex guru,

Since a moment now every time someone attend a meeting created with our webex accounts it appeared to be stamped UNVERIFIED as you can see my snipe below. This is not attractive at all as I am told by the management to make it disapear. 

What could be the possible reason of that? How can I make it disappear? To put it in context, we have suscribed to two webex account which we use for internal meetings. the accounts are not linked to our AD. account1@domain.com account2@domain.com 

Anyone that have the account credentials can just use it to create meeting. Please help me solve that UNVERIFIED issue. Thanks in advance.

FrejusMA_1-1693526793188.png

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sharing a Webex Meeting account, free or with a paid entitlement, amongst multiple people is a EULA violation. Every user is expected to have their own login. That’s only somewhat related to this feature though.

Unverified attendees are those that have not logged into their account before joining. Because you can type any name and email address when joining a meeting as a guest it would be trivial to impersonate someone else, especially if you stayed on mute with video off, potentially compromising sensitive information being discussed. (End-to-end encrypted meetings take this concept a step further with support for strong identity verification.)

I’m accustomed to seeing this indicator in participant panel/roster though. Your screenshot appears to show it on the thumbnail view shown to a presenter while sharing. Is that accurate? And what does the roster look like? Also, which meetings platform are you on?

Thanks you Jonathan for taking you precious time trying to help me.

As for the possible violation of the EULA, note that we are just using the account for the whole company, we did that because not every user need to have an account. I will work with the management to try to correct that.

About your questions : 

Your screenshot appears to show it on the thumbnail view shown to a presenter while sharing. Is that accurate? Yes you are correct, it does appear even if you are not sharing content

And what does the roster look like? See below every user that are not authenticated has this unverified indicator excpet the meeting organizer (the webex account custodian) which I highlighted in blue

FrejusMA_2-1693913843703.png

Also, which meetings platform are you on? I user either the app or the web platform

FrejusMA_3-1693914152922.png

You skipped the linked article before answering the platform question. The punchline is that you're on the newer "Webex Meetings suite" platform - a migration that Cisco is at the early stages of moving customers over to. This distinction will be important as you search for help over the next year; many articles only apply to one platform or the other.

I spent a few minutes testing this out on the new and old platforms. It appears this behavior is unique to the new platform - which makes sense with the security posture improvements they're making. I mention that here mostly to anticipate the rebuttal "but I have been on meetings where this wasn't shown."

As it stands, I'm unaware of an admin toggle to disable this behavior. You're welcome to ask your Cisco CSM but even if there is a backend feature toggle to disable it, that would only cover meetings you host. Users will still see it as they join meetings hosted by other organizations (once they are migrated).

Here are four screenshots to illustrate the differences:

New Platform - Join as a Guest (i.e., Unverified)
Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 17.45.51.png
If the participant has video turned on the "Unverified" label is also shown to the right of their provided display name in the corner of their video.
Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 18.16.37.png

New Platform - Signed In Participant
Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 17.49.17.png

Notice that the email domain of other users appears beneath their display name in the participant panel. This is useful for knowing when you have internal vs. external participants.

Old Platform - Join as a Guest (i.e., Unverified)
Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 17.56.40.png

Old Platform - Signed In Participant
Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 17.54.18.png

This demonstrates why Cisco is adding clarifying labels to the new platform: in the old platform you can’t tell if a given participant is actually that user or an unauthenticated guest [imposter] that typed in the display name of someone else.

Hey @Jonathan Schulenberg 

Thanks You very much for taking your time to explain this with screeshots. I understood from your explanation and some webex's related articles that the migration to the newer "Webex Meeting Suite" is the root cause as Cisco is trying to making every meeting participant authenticated to avoid imposter. This was very helpful. I believe that the only solution to make that toggle disappear will be to make user actually log into webex meetings suite and get authenticated.

Many thanks