Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N gateway to existing non-Cisco network

LifeSpringIT
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was wondering whether someone can quickly answer my question?

I'm trying to use my WAP4410N to create a wireless bridge to an existing network which doesn't contain any Cisco kit. Having read through the manual I've tried the Wireless WDS bridge option, which finds my D-Link wireless router & MAC address, but as there's no option to put in the WPA2 network key, I'm assuming I've misunderstood how this functionality works & perhaps it only works with other Cisco wireless products?

Thanks in advance to anyone who's able to shed some light on my question,

Andy

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

csill
Level 1
Level 1

HI Andy,

Noramlly what you set up WDS Bridge would need to set up the WPA 2 Personal option under the wireless section and then security.

Since the SSID and Security has to be the same, that is were you would input that information in. As for making this set up work with a D-Link wireless router you'll more than likely run into the issue were that wireless device needs to support WDS. Even then you may also run into a issue with no having matching wireless chipsets as well.

More than likely this set up will not work for you. I would recommend using another WAP4410n to bridge the connection. Counting on what you are wanting to do a WET200 may also work for you since its just a wireless bridge and doesn't use WDS but I have never test this connection with a D-link router so I can't 100% guaranteed if this set up will work as well or not.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

-Clayton Sill

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

csill
Level 1
Level 1

HI Andy,

Noramlly what you set up WDS Bridge would need to set up the WPA 2 Personal option under the wireless section and then security.

Since the SSID and Security has to be the same, that is were you would input that information in. As for making this set up work with a D-Link wireless router you'll more than likely run into the issue were that wireless device needs to support WDS. Even then you may also run into a issue with no having matching wireless chipsets as well.

More than likely this set up will not work for you. I would recommend using another WAP4410n to bridge the connection. Counting on what you are wanting to do a WET200 may also work for you since its just a wireless bridge and doesn't use WDS but I have never test this connection with a D-link router so I can't 100% guaranteed if this set up will work as well or not.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

-Clayton Sill

Clayton,

Thanks for the quick & detailed response. You've confirmed my suspicions that I'm trying something out of the ordinary, which isn't a problem as I was only trying to do this as a stop-gap whilst I set some other equipment up - the WAP4410N is destined to be used solely to provide Wireless connectivity for an existing wired network running a Cisco PoE switch and Domain Controller, so I'm not sad

That being said, I'll try setting the WPA settings just on the off-chance that it does work!

Thanks again,

Andy

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: