Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Bridge Settings for WAP4410N

sudha256282
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need your help to send me wireless bridge settings for WAP 4410N.

I have purchased two sets of WAP4410N and i need this to connect as wireless bridge to use our external office users(1 or Max 2) which is just beside our office building to surf our internet and retrieve data from our main server.

Enclosed diagram for your understanding.

Await response and thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Sudhakara,

Thank you for posting. You should set up AP1 in Access Point mode. Configure it as you normally would. Select the WDS setting and input the WIRELESS MAC address of AP2. Configure AP2 in WDS Bridge mode and scan for the SSID of AP1. Select it and the MAC address of AP1 should populate. Save the settings and the devices should now be bridged. The device that is plugged in to AP2 should be able to ping AP1 and the network. Please reply if you have any questions.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Sudhakara,

Thank you for posting. You should set up AP1 in Access Point mode. Configure it as you normally would. Select the WDS setting and input the WIRELESS MAC address of AP2. Configure AP2 in WDS Bridge mode and scan for the SSID of AP1. Select it and the MAC address of AP1 should populate. Save the settings and the devices should now be bridged. The device that is plugged in to AP2 should be able to ping AP1 and the network. Please reply if you have any questions.

Are there any restrictions on any of these:

• Wireless Network Mode
  • Security Mode
  • WPA Algorithm
  • Any of the Advanced Wireless Settings

Is any of this any different if instead of an AP1 the router on the primary network is a WRVS4400N that AP2 is bridging too?

Hi Matthew,

I can't think of any restrictions at the moment, although I wouldn't recommend changing the Advanced Wireless settings unless you know exactly what you are doing. The WAP4410Nv.2 should bridge a WRVS4400Nv.2 wireless network. Note that both devices should be hardware version 2 with the latest firmware. Other versions may or may not work well together.

Hi Matthew Mascari and mpyhala,

Thanks for the info, i called cisco help desk and they instructed how to do.. so simple.

just need to key MAC address into each other and mac AP settings same.. its working good.

Thanks once again.

What are your settings for:

• Wireless Network Mode
  • Security Mode
  • WPA Algorithm

I've found that several of the WPA2 options cause mine to fail and not remain stable for very long.  Using WPA TKIP has seemed to work, but I would prefer to use WPA2 AES which so far always fails.

Hi Matthew,

Settings as follow

• Wireless Network Mode

B/G/N-Mixed

• Security Mode

WPA-Personal

• WPA Algorithm

AES          

Now that it's been a week, how's the bridge working?

Anytime I try to use WPA2 or AES, my bridge needs to be reset every day.  With TKIP, it's been fine longer, but that's not really what I want.

Hi matthew,

Production @ near by office is not yet started. hence not started using yet. i will be start to use this after three weeks later.

Hi Matthew,

you are right, connection always drop everyday.

Do you have any idea to encounter this ?

I've got mine set to this now:

• Wireless Network Mode

N

• Security Mode

WPA-Personal

• WPA Algorithm

TKIP

Using the WDS-Bridge setting without any client associations.

This has been more stable for me.  But, it's a huge disappointment.

Honestly, if I was using it for something more critical that required better security and stability, I would use a different product.  In my case, it's in a house and I don't want to bother buying new gear and loosing the investment in the current products.  But, for a real production use where the equipment cost wasn't really a driver, I would replace them with something else.