cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Solution for an apartment complex

scorcher821
Level 1
Level 1

I am a contractor setting up a wireless network in an apartment complex. I want the entire wireless network to comly with 802.11n stardards. The complex spans about a half mile across by a half mile from the road to the back. There are 42 buildings. I want to have a wireless AP (or possibly a device that will simply propagate the signal without making a new network - perhaps some sort of repeater?) in/on (if we decide to use outdoor APs) the buildings. The signal will originate in the main office almost exactly in the middle of the complex. Is this an appropriate design for this scenario? Also, would anyone have a product reccmomendation to be made for either the main router, or the AP/repeater for each building? Is putting one in each building overkill? Price is an issue with this project, but I want to make sure to have a robust enough network that should one AP/repeater stop funcitoning, there will be some parity in the network. Many thanks for all advice/critisism/coments.

Currently I am thinking of using an Aeronet 1141 for each building/every few buildings (where would I determine the range on this model? I'm looking to maintain 50 mbps through out the whole complex) and then a stronger router in the main office (preferably one that does DHCP and does not block any ports, and can be remotely managed).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

For more information on the range of Cisco 1140 series access point refer the document 2.4GHz - 11n Coverage section of the document

Cisco 1140 Series Access Point Deployment Guide.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi,

I have sent this question to some collegaues in charge of wireless solutions. We'll get back to you ASAP.

Marcos Hernandez
Technical Marketing Engineer
Cisco Systems, Inc.

For more information on the range of Cisco 1140 series access point refer the document 2.4GHz - 11n Coverage section of the document

Cisco 1140 Series Access Point Deployment Guide.

Thank you for the response. This helps me figure out the range for individual APs, which brings me to my next question. Is there a way to set up a ring topology with dual band APs in such a way that I can have end users connect directly to the ring? It would have to be dual band so that the APs can propagate the signal to between themselves and the end users. If you can suggest a product I can use for this I'd appreciate it. I am also considering a mesh topology, but still with the dual band to minimize the amount of equipment necessary.

Once the coverage for an  induvidual access point is known , number of access points required for the whole deployment can be calculated. Access Points can then be placed at appropriate locations to provide complete coverage.

For such requests, the best way is to have you complex in digital form (buildings, dimensions, heights, terrain preferably) and you will be able to use any software tool for radio planning to see coverage per access point anf for complete network. Depending on servies that you are planning to offer (yu are mentioning 50Mbps) you will be able to determine how many access points you need. Also, depending on services and type of customers (residents) that you are expecting, you can determin if 50Mbps is a good estimation. Having large thoughput enabled everywhere in any time could lead to higher expenses. After determining coverage and C/I, you can orginize your network. Chosing 1140 would be a good option but everything depends on your budget, network quality and network and element availability.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: