cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

40 MHz channel width on 802.11n

eslamkhatab247
Level 1
Level 1

I got new cisco aironet 1262n Dual band Access-point running IOS version 12.4(23c)JA .my question is does this access-point support 40 MHz channel width on the 2.4 Band on any IOS version as the command "Channel width" under interface dot11radio 0 allow only 20 MHz

18 Replies 18

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not available on the 2.4ghz only on the 5ghz.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Just to add... When the 1252's first came out, you were able to configure 40mhz on the 2.4ghz. Due to having only three overlapping channels on the 2.4ghz, it doesn't make sense to be able to channel bond on the 2.4ghz causing more channel overlap than you would already may have.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Dear Scott

thanks for your fast reply. as per your reply (When the 1252's first came out, you were able to configure 40mhz on the 2.4ghz) is there any old IOS version that support this feature so i can do downgrade as I don't have another access-point in this access-point's coverage area so overlaping and interference is not a big deal for me in this area and i need to use 40 MHz as my clients support only one spatial stream on the 2.4 band so i got max speed of 72 Mbps

once again Thanks for your help

Unfortunately the code is only for a 1250 and I believe has been removed. As for 802.11n, to obtain up to 144mbps, you need to either use open authentication or wpa2/aes. WMM also has to be enabled. This is a requirement.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

i need to use 40 MHz as my clients support only one spatial stream on the 2.4 band

What application uses/requires 40 Mhz channel bonding in the 2.4Ghz???

I am not talking about specific application but i need to use channel bonding to get higher speed than the 72 Mbps with 20 MHz channel width

Ok.  Channel bonding of the 802.11b radio doesn't make any logical sense because of the number of usable channels.  You may want to consider enabling 802.11g data rates instead.  This will get you out of the low data rates of 802.11b.

You can get up to 144mbps on a 20mhz channel width. You just need to make sure you configure your SSID with the requirements for 802.11n.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

I configured it correctly but i got the problem which is my wireless clients are single band (2.4 GHz) and support up to mcs index 7 only(72 Mbps max speed @ 20 MHz/150 Mbps max speed @ 40 MHz)

so as cisco does not support 40 MHz channel width @ 2.4 GHz band Igot max speed of 72 Mbps

If you want higher data rates you'll need to purchase a client that can support 5GHz so you can bond. Why anyone would want to bond on 2.4GHz is beyond me and I am having a hard time trying to figure out what the issue is here.

Are you stuck on a specific client adapter and can't change that? You're trying to fix a problem by creating another problem.

now i know that changing the wireless cards is the only solution but after buying 30 wireless cards.

my wishes is that cisco will refer to this issue in the data sheets as they only shows

802.11n capabilities :"20-and 40-MHz channels"   without saying that is not valid for 2.4 GHz band

Read the link below.  Maybe this will help you clear up your mind about channel bonding with 802.11b.

Configure 802.11n on the WLC

20mHz = 144

40mHz= 300 2x3:3 (edit Thanks Scott)

40mHz= 450 4x4:3 (edit Thanks Scott)

Security

OPEN

or

WPA2/AES w/ WMM enabled

Your clients will need to support the above as well. You are only has fast as your lowest devices.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George... Did you mean 2x3:2 and 4x4:3?

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: