Views
Helpful
Replies

9800-WLC not showing any info about WLAN AP outage

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco WLAN experts,

being relatively new on the new 9800-WLC-platform, I noticed recently that AP outages are not recognized on the 9800-WLC running 17.9.3-code.  The missing AP is a AIR-AP3802I-E-K9 for example.

I cannot see any information about the missing AP in Monitoring -> Wireless -> AP Statistics -> General

searching for the name nor searching for Operation Status "Down" or "not registered".  No info at all appearing.

Only source of information about the missing AP came from our Prime 3.10,.4 by the way, which is in

a working telemetry and SNMP connection to the 9800-WLC.

Is this normal behaviour or a bug ?

Please come back with information.

Thank You

Wini

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You may find commands mentioned in https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/217738-monitor-catalyst-9800-kpis-key-performa.html#anc4
  useful ,

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello marce1000,

thank You very much for Your link to the Monitoring-KPI-Guide of the new 9800-WLC-series.

Unfortunately I cannot find a command, that shows a summary of actually missing APs !

I did a test with a brand-new 9130-AP in my office also.

After disconnecting the 9130-AP, the only thing I can find out with actual command set is the change in the number of WLAN APs:

WLC-9800#show ap summary | i Number of APs

Also the following command is showing output only for actually connected APs.

WLC-9800#show ap uptime | ex ([0-9])+ days

The 9130, that I just disconnected, is not showing up in this list, because it is no longer there !

It only shows up again in the AP Join statistics, when it is powered up and connected again.

WLC-9800#show wireless stats ap history | incl Test_9130
Test_9130  c9d5.7d12.6c20 Joined 04/09/2x 10:54:26 NA NA NA
Test_9130  c9d5.7d12.6c20 Disjoined 04/09/2x 10:32:55 NA Heart beat timer expiry 1

But that is not what I'm looking for.  I want a list of actually missing, actually Disjoined APs !

Basic potential problems outside in this Cisco WLAN Wild West !

I'm looking for a command like this:

WLC-9800#show wireless stats ap missing!

WLC-9800#show wireless stats ap disjoined!

Is it really not possible to look for missing APs on the new 9800-WLCs?

I mean APs that are Disjoined permanently during the last working day for example.

Kind regards

Wini

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

The only way to detect missing APs is to see that in logs, either C9800 logs for CAPWAP disconnections, or monitor switchport logs for link down events.

The problem is that the port maybe down, but AP CAPWAP connection down or radios down, and those events also makes the wireless non-operative and, again, you would need to check that in the logs.

The alternative is to use Pipelines with Telemetry subscriptions and Grafana:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-8/b_c9800_programmability_telemetry_dg.html#:~:text=protocol%20grpc%2Dtcp-,Receiving%20events%20with%20Pipeline,-The%20key%2Dvalue

PradeepSingh
Level 1
Level 1

Did you check Monitoring -> Wireless -> AP Statistics -> Join Statistics (Instead of general) ? You should see all APs which were disjoined from WLC. Until someone manually clear it.

In addition to what @JPavonM mentioned you can enable snmp traps for monitoring from monitoring platforms.

snmp-server enable traps wireless 
trapflags ap crash
trapflags ap noradiocards
trapflags ap register

unfortunately the WLC has no knowledge of 'missing' AP's except in the 'Join Statistics' tab up until the point that you clear the list.  Then all is forgotten.  History is the function of Prime and DNAC.  at least until you delete all the unregistered devices.

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello David,

even the Join Statistics do not show the missing AP !

I just powered down a 9130-AP, which is disappearing in the "General" -List of all APs in Monitoring -> Wireless -> AP statistics.

But unfortunately the outage is not shown in the "Join Statistics"  nor does the Dashboard counter "Not Joined" show the missing AP ! 

To be honest, I would expect of course also an Outage Dashboard information on the WLC-9800 or a

Monitoring -> Wireless -> AP statistics -> Outages

Can Cisco WLAN experts please address this customer expectation to the programmers of the WLC-9800-code ?

Thank You in advance

Wini

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card