cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ap location command invoked

Hi,

One of the APs is reported to  as 'keeps cycling from Blue, Green and Red'

points to - ap location command invoked

What does this exactly mean ? how do i identify which ap it is from controller.

Controller model -5508

AP model-1142

Firmware - 

I am remote to the site and I will not be able to trace this AP to switch or find a MAC address on it.

What could be done to fix this,

and it seems like users near this AP always have issues ,

Please advise,

Thanks,

Aashutosh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The funny thing is that I had a customer whom had the same issue.  The AP they were looking at, wasn't the right AP, it was labeled wrong.  The LED shouldn't blink like that especially is you have not enabled the LED to flash.  If you disable the LED, then the onsite personal should see the AP LED not light up.  I would check to make sure they and you are working on the same AP.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

On the local switchport can you see it connected at all? Does it show up in CDP neighbours? Has anything changed in your environment recently? If possible can you have the person at the remote site provide you with the mac address off the back of the Access Point? You can then use that to identify the Access Point if it is connected to your controller.

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

As mentioned, I don't have any information about switch port or switch it is connected to, I was still wondering if something can be checked remotely on controller itself.

Last option would be to involve someone onsite,

Apart from that what the hell does this mean exactly 'ap location command invoked'

!!

Ah sorry misread the switchport bit.

I'm not 100% but believe the ap location command is when you go into the AP settings on the WLAN Controller and tell the LED to specifically flash so you can identify it physically. This is useful when an AP is installed in a ceiling and you don't know which one it is so you put the command on and then go and see if it is the right AP. Does that make sense? It is useful for remote troubleshooting. In this instance I believe your AP is doing it because it cannot find the WLC and has cycled through its available options and still not found it indicating a fault somewhere.

A 'show ap summary' will give you connected APs on your WLC but then how would you know which one it is? 

AP Name             Slots  AP Model              Ethernet MAC       Location          Country  IP Address       Clients
------------------  -----  --------------------  -----------------  ----------------  -------  ---------------  -------
APCisco123        2     AIR-CAP3502I-N-K9     a1:b2:c3:d4:e5:f6 Somewhere   AU   

I'm assuming the AP connects back to a DHCP server in order to discover the WLC so does it have a lease?

If your AP was connected to the WLC before you could do a 'sh ap join stats summary all' or on the GUI go to Monitor -> statistics -> AP Join and try to find the AP there. It may give you a reason why it has disjoined.

Other useful commands once you have identified which AP it is:

show ap led-state <ap name>

show ap led-flash <ap name> 

config ap led-flash disable <ap name>

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Thanks Ric,

I managed to find out the AP, switch and switch port it is connected on - with onsite help.

We powercycled it

also did  > clear all config from controller gui

AP is functional and clients connected to it are fine.

But the LED is still cycling.

Any ideas ? this is just curiosity.  I think there is some config on controller causing this, just need to figure out how to find it.

Did 

show ap led-state <ap name> - enabled

show ap led-flash <ap name>  - disabled

Any advises ?

The funny thing is that I had a customer whom had the same issue.  The AP they were looking at, wasn't the right AP, it was labeled wrong.  The LED shouldn't blink like that especially is you have not enabled the LED to flash.  If you disable the LED, then the onsite personal should see the AP LED not light up.  I would check to make sure they and you are working on the same AP.

-Scott

-Scott

I agree

I am completely depending on our onsite person, he unplugged the cable and seen the led go away on the AP and then he plugged it back in, he says it was green for a while and started blinking again,

So lets say if I do  show ap led-flash <ap name> for all my APs, i should find one of them in enabled state ? and that would be the AP?

I would ask the person to take a picture of the mac address/serial number tag on the access point.  This way you can track down the mac address of the AP on the switch or on the WLC if it has joined.  Seems like the AP is trying to discover the controller.  If the person unplugs the AP, do you see the number of AP's up drop by one?

-Scott

-Scott

gohussai
Level 4
Level 4

Final solution is try Re-imaging the AP and test again ,make sure its not only the LED issue.

After that if still problem persist then I then better replace the hardware or contact TAC.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card