Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9120AXI-EWC-E deployment not working

as00001111
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all!

I bought a C9210AXI-EWC for a small location.

I configured an ip address on Gigabit Ethernet 0.

My switchport is configured as a trunk and native vlan.

I'm not able to ping the EWC.

cdp neighbor detail on the switch is showing the ap, but no management ip address.

AP is flashing green and red in turn.

Can you tell me what's happening?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So today I took a 9120i and reset the ap using the mode button. I also issued the following command from the console CLI of the ap I wanted to setup as a controller: wireless ewc-ap factory-reset You need to also make sure your ap gets a DHCP address and has reach: ability to the internet. Once I placed the ap on a vlan where there was no other controllers, the ap received a DHCP address and started to broadcast the Ciscoairprovisioning SSID. I was able to connect to the SSID and configure the EWC from my iPad. I used this simple guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise-networks/mobility-express/guide-c07-741338.html <>

Keep in mind, that this 9120 was not purchased with the EWC sky, but capwap. I did have this join another EWC cluster so I can test the “clear all configuration”, which also worked in factory resetting the ap, except for the hostname. I did not do any cli configuration which is an option, but followed the link I attached. Once the ap rebooted, I was able to login to the EWC from the DHCP IP address the 9120 recieved.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

33 Replies 33

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Make sure that the EWC gig0 is defined with vlan 0 and the you have switchport trunk native vlan AP management are un-tagged and that is how it has been for a very long time.
-Scott

How can I define gig0 with vlan 0?

Just don't define an vlan setting on gig0. You will see under configuration > interface > wireless
-Scott

Hi,

problem is that I cannot ping the controller, that means I cannot access it via https.

I don't have any ip connectivity.

Yes that is why I mentioned to make sure you have the management vlan as untagged and that the switchport is also not tagging the vlan. If the port is trunked, make sure the native vlan is the network the ap will be in, or else you can use an access port, but don’t define a vlan for gig0. The links I posted helped me when I first tested out the 91x0 ewc’s because I too ran into that issue. I did everything from the cli because when I tried the UI to do the initial setup, it wasn’t working. If you have other 9120’s with ewc softwyout of the box, then try different AP’s. You only need one to be the controller and the others will join that one that you get working. Post your config that you have for your ap and the switchport.
-Scott

Hi Scott,

as I mentioned in my first post, my switchport is configured with native vlan. For testing, I created an access port, but that didnÄt help either.

I talked to our cisco partner and they told me that the version on the AP (16.2.2) is not the correct version.

For ewc I need version 17.1.1

We tried everything and can't get it working.

Is it possible to do a software upgrade via usb port of the access point?

since I don't have any ip connectivity, I can't use tftp.

When I plug in a USB stick in the USB port of the access point, the usb sticks LED doesn't run.

Do I need to activate the usb port?

Factory reset the ap and try to follow this guide to upload the image you want.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-on-catalyst-access-points/215303-embedded-wireless-controller-conversion.html#anc7
-Scott

I did a full factory reset and did the basic configuration again.

Again, I don't have any ip connectivity.

Without ip connectivity, I cannot upgrade the software.

In my opinion, the ap is faulty.

The USB slot is not working either, only Cisco knows why insert a usb slot which isn't working.

The USB slot isn’t functional yet. Have you tried with other AP’s or is that the only ap you have? Open a TAC case and have them walk you through the setup or opens a Tac case and have them RMA the ap.
-Scott

I got three C9120AXI. One of them was ordered as ewc. that's the device I'm talking about.

The other two ap's got normal ap image and are configured with capwap ip.

I tried converting the ewc into capwap mode with

AP1#ap-type capwap

but that doesn't work either.

Convert one of your 9120 from capwap to ewc and test:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-catalyst-access-points/presentation-c97-743421.pdf

EWC to Capwap:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/presentation-c97-743422.pdf

I’m assuming that you configured the device since you have the controller prompt, why not share your config so we can review it?
-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card