Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime 3.10 and 9800-WLC WLAN-AP-Fake-Alarms

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisoc WLAN experts,

I habe noticed that our good old Prime 3.10 is not showing WLAN AP outages correctly in conjunction with a 9800-80-WLC running 17.9.3 code with around 1000 APs on it.

The WLAN AP outages themself are shown correctly as an Alarm. But after the WLAN APs rejoins the WLC, we see cases where the alarm still shows the outage for hours or even days for some of the WLAN APs, that have reconnected to the 9800-WLC already long ago for example after a power outage.

When I select the AP details on Prime, it still shows the AP being disassociated.

I can't even ping the AP from this page to convince Prime that the AP is alive again.

Error message shown is: Request Timed out. Error in getting data from server.

The only workaround to get rid of the Alarm is to Acknowledge such fake Alarms for every AP in the Alarm list.

What is the reason for this malbehavoiur ?

Jobs to discover Lightweight APs and their status check are running every 5 Minutes.

How can I convince Prime that the APs are up and running again ?

Thank You for any good Tipps

Kind regards

Wini

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Make sure that sufficient alarms and recovery info's are send to Prime. That includes defining Prime as a syslog server on the 9800 and also send all snmp traps to it.  Also configure https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_wl_16_10_cg/enabling-syslog-messages-in-access-points-and-controller-for-syslog-server.html#task_56DB7D3369B846FA98D2D071AAC9D946 
                                  You may set the syslog level to : informational

As for Prime use latest patch release : https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286329246/type/284272933/release/3.10.4
                 If not yet done , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

eglinsky2012
Level 4
Level 4

Not sure if this is the same issue you're seeing, but I have noticed that alarms remain for APs that have come back up, meaning on the map, the radio icons on the AP are green, but the middle circle in the AP is red and the corresponding alarm is for the AP being disassociated. But if i ever come across an AP that Prime says is disassociated that i know is associated, clicking "refresh from device" on the AP page will make it appear associated again and status information is refreshed. I haven't had time to open a TAC case for this, but it might be the best bet for you to get the issue resolved.

Before you do that, though, there are a couple things you can try. If you go to Inventory > Network Devices > Wireless Controllers, are all the WLCs in sync ("completed") and telemetry status successful? If not, verify SSH/SNMP/telemetry settings in use, firewall rules, etc.

Sometimes, removing and re-adding the WLCs from Prime can clear up weird issues like this. Just be careful, after you click delete, a pop up will appear asking if you also want to delete the APs associated with that WLC. Click no unless you want to spend a long time placing APs on maps again (at least, I assume that's what would happen, but I don't want to find out!).

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Eglinsky2012,

thank You for Your tipps.

The 9800-WLC is in sync and telemetry-status is ok.

When I click on "Refresh from device" on the Fake-Down-APs I receive Error-message "This AP is not associated with any Controller" eventhough it is up and running and seen healthy on the 9800-WLC itself.

Kind regards

Wini

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card