Views
Helpful
Replies

Downloading Software from a 5520 WLC

Philip Badhams
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Is it possible to download the AES WLC image file from a 5520 WLC? I can only see options for downloading configurations / tech files etc. The release in question is deferred so is no longer available from the Cisco website. My customer is upgrading from 8.10.112 to 8.10.183 and want 8.10.112 on hand if we should need to role back (they understand that it is not supported). I have advised that is is not recommended to use a deferred release but the customer is requesting we have it to hand.

Thanks

12 Replies 12

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you need an image that is no longer posted, you need to open a TAC case and request that.  Explain what you are trying to do and why.  There is no way to download the image from the controller that is published at least.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The image is still there for download: https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286284738/type/280926587/release/8.10.112.0?releaseIndicator=DEFERRED

-Scott

HI Scott. The image is still listed but it cannot be downloaded as it is deferred. It is just the deferral notices and advisories that you can view.

Thanks

Yeah just noticed that... well if you need it, then you will have to get that from TAC if they even will provide that to you.  Are you 100% sure that the customer doesn't have that image somewhere?  What happens if they had to RMA the controller?

-Scott

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

may be contacting TAC can offer you image.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

OMfG.  The customer wants to use 8.10.112.0????

Wow.  That is one version that I would not recommend to anyone!

@Leo Laohoo @Is the Wireless Forum Code/Bug police

-Scott

@Scott Fella, I'm a beta tester. 

I’am too:)
-Scott

Rich R
VIP
VIP

No TAC engineer following rules will give you that image.

BUT this whole discussion is pointless!  5520 always keeps a backup image.  So do a show boot:
(WLC) >show boot
Primary Boot Image............................... 8.10.185.0 (default) (active)
Backup Boot Image................................ 8.5.182.7
Then make sure you download the new code to the current backup boot image, keeping the 8.10.112.0 image.
Then boot to  8.10.183.0.  If you don't like it then swap back to 8.10.112.0 and reboot:
(WLC) >config boot ?
primary Sets the primary image as active.
backup Sets the backup image as active.

lalkelalke04
Level 1
Level 1

The image is still listed but it cannot be downloaded as it is deferred. It is just the deferral notices and advisories that you can view.

Correct, that was previously mentioned in the thread by the OP.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card