cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EWC shows clients no longer connected

l.buschi
Level 2
Level 2

My EWC shows wifi clients no longer connected.

In monitoring>wireless>clients I can see for long time even disconnected clients.

Is there a timer to fine tune?

Also: if I connect my iphone I can see two connections from it, one on 802.11n and the other on 802.11ax with 2 different IP addresses, only one IP is pingable.

Did I configure anything wrong?

Many tks

Lorenzo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

That sounds like stale connections.  Do you have idle and session timeouts set?
iPhone will use a different MAC address for each SSID by default when you have Private Wi-Fi Address enabled.  And it will often change the MAC each time you forget the SSID or haven't used it for some time.  As far as the controller is concerned each MAC is a different client.

show wireless profile policy detailed <profile-name>
WLAN Timeout
Session Timeout : 28800
Idle Timeout : 300

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- To check if  anything is wrong configured use the CLI command show tech wireless and feed that output into : https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer/

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what is the IOS XE code ? EWC using AP ? or Switch ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

EWC Code is 17.9.4a

Installed into C9120 with c9120 APs

Rich R
VIP
VIP

That sounds like stale connections.  Do you have idle and session timeouts set?
iPhone will use a different MAC address for each SSID by default when you have Private Wi-Fi Address enabled.  And it will often change the MAC each time you forget the SSID or haven't used it for some time.  As far as the controller is concerned each MAC is a different client.

show wireless profile policy detailed <profile-name>
WLAN Timeout
Session Timeout : 28800

I disabled Private address on Iphone and everithing is ok!

Many tks!!!

My session timeout is 1800, may I leave it with this value or is it better to change it to 28800?

Session Timeout : 1800

Well apart from the fact that you'll be forced off every hour that should be ok.  Can't see what would be causing the stale sessions though.

Clients disappear from dashboard after idle timeout I think.

Is it a normal behaviour?

Yes when inactive it's correct for the WLC to delete the client after the idle timeout.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card