cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest Anchor redundancy

jeremy.t
Level 1
Level 1

I have working two 5508 Guest Anchors running active/active, both are in the same location. I'd like to split them into two locations for resilience and have them ideally active/passive so the internet circuit at the backup location is only used if the primary was down. Is this possible?

If it is not possible to be active/passive is it ok to have them active/active but in separate locations?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The foreign controller (internal) will round robin these connections. If you tie 2 or more controllers to the WLAN the foreign drops them into the mobility controllers. I know I asked, and other have, about a active passive solution. But to date not an option. I had one customer actually do a SHUT to the back up controller and then would do a no shut incase the primary ever died. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you can only go active/active. The internal WLC will load balance the users between the two anchors.

As for where they are geographically, it won't matter so long as the EOIP and Mobility tunnels can establish.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks for the quick response, I suspected active/passive wasn't an option.

I'll have to have a think if there is a simple way to tunnel the internet bound traffic from the backup guest DMZ across the WAN to the primary one.

The foreign controller (internal) will round robin these connections. If you tie 2 or more controllers to the WLAN the foreign drops them into the mobility controllers. I know I asked, and other have, about a active passive solution. But to date not an option. I had one customer actually do a SHUT to the back up controller and then would do a no shut incase the primary ever died. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin