Views
Helpful
Replies

licensing in Cisco One model for WLAN controller HA

ange.essan1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I am performing an estimate on CCW. I have to configure a Wireless controller with 12 AP licences based on the Cisco one model. Please see below the BoM :

C1-AIR-CT5508-K9 Cisco ONE - 5500 series WLAN Controller w/ 0 AP lics
CON-SNT-CT5508K9 SNTC-8X5XNBD C1-5500  Wireless LAN Con w/ 0 AP lics
LIC-CT5508-BASE Base Software License
CON-ECMU-LICCT8BAS SWSS UPGRADES Base Software Licens
C1-MSE-PAK Cisco ONE MSE License PAK
C1FPAIRK9 Cisco ONE Foundation Perpetual - Wireless
CON-ECMU-C1FPAIR SWSS UPGRADES C1 Foundation Perpetual - Wireless
C1-WLC-1 Cisco ONE Wireless LAN Controller AP License (any WLC)
C1-WLC-PAK Cisco ONE Wireless LAN Controller AP License PAK (any WLC)
C1-PI-LFAS-AP-K9 Cisco ONE PI Device License for LF & AS for WLAN
C1-ISE-BASE-AP Cisco ONE Identity Services Engine 25 EndPoint Base Lic
C1-MSE-LS-1 Cisco ONE CMX Base (Location + Connect) - 1AP license
C1-CEM-25-K9 Cisco ONE Energy Mgmt Perpetual Lic - 25 DO End Points
C1-CAND-1 Cisco ONE Connected Analytics Net Deployment -1 Dev Lic 1 YR
C1-LC-5-1Y Cisco ONE StealthWatch 5 FPS Lic 1 YR
C1F1VAIR-02 Tracker PID v02 Fnd Perpetual AIR - no delivery
SWC5500K9-80 Cisco Unified Wireless Controller SW Release 8.0
AIR-PWR-CORD-CE AIR Line Cord Central Europe
AIR-PWR-5500-AC Cisco 5500 Series Wireless Controller Redundant Power Supply

Now, I have to configure an HA controller. In the CISCO one model, the SKU is the same as the controller I configured above.

Should I configure the HA controller without AP licenses ?

Please give me the best way to configure the HA WLC in the Cisco one model

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ange,

If you get a C1-AIR-CT5508-K9 then you should not need any licenses on the secondary unit (which you have referred to as HA unit). However if this is not the case then the usual 50 AP license count requirement should hold good to convert into a secondary WLC. This 50 AP license count can be registered from the C1-WLC-1 license pool.

Hope I was able to clear the confusion.

Best Regards,

www.wifitrainers.com

Learn from the Best To be the Best!

Change the way you look at wireless client connectivity forever by registering to watch this free webinar and also stand a chance to win our Wireless starter kit worth $8000 for free!!

View solution in original post

That looks fine.  Just looking at some of the C1 notes, you can just use the C1-AIR-CT5508-K9 for both and just purchase the necessary license.  Any reason you don't want to quote the 5520's?

-Scott

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

-Scott

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

WiFi Trainers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ange,

The Cisco ONE licensing model is quite complex and HA makes it even trickier :). Here is what I see: For your secondary controller you will need to order using the PID C1-AIR-CT5508-K9. This does not require any AP licenses to work with HA and is even mentioned to be an equivalent for AIR-CT5508-HA-K9 when you try to order AIR-CT5508-HA-K9 on CCW. The C1-WLC-1 is for AP licensing and you can assign the desired amount of AP licenses for each controller by registering the PAKs at https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/LicensingUI/Quickstart. This will need to be done if you do not order it using C1-AIR-CT5508-K9

Now this is from my understanding of a complex licensing model :). However since we believe in getting the best value for our money, I would also recommend that you check with the Cisco Licensing team for any other nuances :).

Best Regards,

www.wifitrainers.com

Change the way you look at wireless client connectivity forever by registering to watch this free webinar and also stand a chance to win our Wireless starter kit worth $8000 for free!!

Thank you for your prompt response.....Do you mean that the same C1-WLC-1 licenses of the active controller should be assigned (on https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/LicensingUI/Quickstart) for both controllers (Active and HA) ?

Hi Ange,

If you get a C1-AIR-CT5508-K9 then you should not need any licenses on the secondary unit (which you have referred to as HA unit). However if this is not the case then the usual 50 AP license count requirement should hold good to convert into a secondary WLC. This 50 AP license count can be registered from the C1-WLC-1 license pool.

Hope I was able to clear the confusion.

Best Regards,

www.wifitrainers.com

Hi All,

To ensure my understanding, please find attached my BoM.

My BoM consists of :

• 11 AP (AIR-CAP3702I-E-K9)
  • 01 WLC 5508 with 12 AP licenses on Cisco one model
  • 01 HA WLC with 0 AP license.

That looks fine.  Just looking at some of the C1 notes, you can just use the C1-AIR-CT5508-K9 for both and just purchase the necessary license.  Any reason you don't want to quote the 5520's?

-Scott

-Scott

Hi Scott, there is no particular reason....it is the choice of a client

Hi guys,

I have a similar situation, but with some differences:

My client already have a WLC 5508 that was bought before Cisco One release. So now he wants to add a HA WLC. If I purchase C1-AIR-CT5508-K9 I also don't need to add 50 licenses? He will add more 20 APs to this scenario with C1-AIR-K9 license.

Thank you in advance.

You should reach out to your Cisco rep to verify.  The C1 should apply only to the primary controller and you should have AIR-CT5508-HA-K9 for the backup, which is HA and doesn't require license. 

-Scott

-Scott

Hi Scott,

A small correction. In the Cisco ONE licensing model the AIR-CT5508-HA-K9 has been replaced by C1-AIR-CT5508-K9. So this is what needs to be ordered for the secondary unit.

Best Regards,

www.wifitrainers.com

Interesting because our BOM still uses an HA sku.  Different for the 5520's we use.

-Scott

-Scott

FYI: I have done some testing with C1 5508 controllers and found that a C1 5508 controller (without any licenses) will work fine as secondary HA unit even with a old style licensed primary controller...

R3yskatajay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is the below license for MSE or CMX? And what's this license for? What feature?

C1-MSE-LS-1 Cisco ONE CMX Base (Location + Connect) - 1AP license

Best Regards,

Rey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card