Helpful
Replies

WLC 9800-CL and guest portal

Dikkia
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, 

I need help from you please.

Currently I have clusters of 5820 wlc deployed on site with several AP in flexconnect mode located at branches.

We have also guest portal for externals that use local internet breakout at each site

internal users use local internet breackout too

Due to obsolescence, we have to renew the 5820 with new WLC 9800-CL (cloud based controller) and keep using the AP in flexconnect at branches. 

problem arise with the guest portal because, as far as I know, it uses CENTRAL Switching ( that is no more supported in 9800-CL model ) so it seem i can't deploy cloud based controller..

Is there a way to use 9800-CL WLC and use local ( branch) internet breakout for guest users and internal users?

thank you 

4 Replies 4

Dikkia
Level 1
Level 1

just to clarify

the goal is to have local internet breakout on site (and avoid to be billed by the cloud providers ) and deploy a cloud based WLC...keeping the existing features ( guest portal )

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Also worth clarifying whether you mean 9800-CL in public cloud (Amazon/Google/Microsoft) or private cloud (on hypervisor ESX/KVM/Hyper-V).

9800-CL on Hypervisor does support central switching, public cloud does not:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-cl-wireless-controller-cloud/nb-06-cat9800-cl-cloud-wirel-data-sheet-ctp-en.html#Features

There is no reason why you should not be able to use web auth with local switching.  Authentication can still be done centrally while switching is done locally. 

hello

thank you for your answer.

the cloud is indeed a PUBLIC cloud...so i guess there is no possibility to have it working...

It will work, but as you highlighted yourself, you will need to use local switching because central switching is not supported in public cloud.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card