Views
Helpful
Replies

wlc remote fallback

ttuncaral
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have multiple WLC installations on different sites with Local APs. Is there a methodology or plan to solve fallback situation by installing a central WLC in the DataCenter (e.g.) What should I follow to create a solution to this problem? Licensing, choosing wlc controller model, limitations, etc.

Do I have to create a local redundancy first and then at the data center as I saw on a web page? Is it possible to make fallback solution to this type of infrastructure?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The thing is, your AP's are setup in a mode... local or maybe flexconnect and this can't be cahnged.  So unless you make every AP flexconnect at the remote sites, and do local switching, then your only other choice is to have a redundant wlc at each location.  FlexConnect has limitations and you can find those in the FlexConnect Configuration Guide as comapred to local mode AP's.  So make sure you understand the difference between the two and you know what the limitations are.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have to look to see what happens if a WLC fails at a site.  The issue I have if your in local mode, is that if you have a wlc at a central location as a backup, then all traffic will be tunneled to that WLC and users will have to get a new ip address since you centralized wlc will have interfaces that is local to that site.  Typically its best to have a redundant WLC at each location, but you really need to figure out the what if and how does the traffic flow now.

Licensing depends on how many AP's you want to be able to support... maybe you want to have license for one of the largest sites or maybe enough license for two large sites to failover.  This will also tell you what controller model you have to go with since there is a max number of AP's depending on WLC.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Can I configure APs at remote sites as Remote APs of Central Site in the fallback situation? The only need is to take control at central location if remote WLC fails.

The thing is, your AP's are setup in a mode... local or maybe flexconnect and this can't be cahnged.  So unless you make every AP flexconnect at the remote sites, and do local switching, then your only other choice is to have a redundant wlc at each location.  FlexConnect has limitations and you can find those in the FlexConnect Configuration Guide as comapred to local mode AP's.  So make sure you understand the difference between the two and you know what the limitations are.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card