Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Software Manager SSM On Prem 8 web access failed

samhopealpha
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everybody, 

I have installed the Smart Software Manager (SSM) on Prem(SSM_On-Prem_8-202010.iso)
After finished the installation, I cannot access the web gui by https://<ip-address>:8443
but i can ping and SSH the SSM IP

i realize that it looks like not listening to tcp 8443 

[admin@SSM125-50 ~]$ netstat -nlp
(No info could be read for "-p": geteuid()=1000 but you should be root.)
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name    
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:6379          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -                   
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:111             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -                   
tcp        0      0 10.254.254.254:6000     0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -                   
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -                   
tcp6       0      0 :::111                  :::*                    LISTEN      -                   
tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      -                   
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:111             0.0.0.0:*                           -                   
udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:323           0.0.0.0:*                           -                   
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:984             0.0.0.0:*                           -                   
udp6       0      0 :::111                  :::*                                -                   
udp6       0      0 ::1:323                 :::*                                -                   
udp6       0      0 :::984                  :::*                                -                   
Active UNIX domain sockets (only servers)
Proto RefCnt Flags       Type       State         I-Node   PID/Program name     Path
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     8449     -                    /run/systemd/journal/stdout
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     24852    -                    /var/run/vmware/guestServicePipe
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     31267    -                    /run/docker/libnetwork/d91323c3aa3082aa7d29633a2f984e7ae095b0cfc58ca4532d177d6f9efb25a4.sock
unix  2      [ ACC ]     SEQPACKET  LISTENING     13379    -                    /run/udev/control
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     22854    -                    /var/run/docker.sock
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     13381    -                    /run/lvm/lvmetad.socket
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     22856    -                    /var/run/rpcbind.sock
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     30044    -                    /run/containerd/containerd.sock
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     25968    -                    /var/lib/gssproxy/default.sock
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     25969    -                    /run/gssproxy.sock
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     11939    -                    /run/systemd/private
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     22965    -                    /run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     14775    -                    /run/lvm/lvmpolld.socket
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     22968    -                    /var/run/pcscd/pcscd.comm
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     31168    -                    /var/run/docker/metrics.soc

Anybody can help ?

Thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

PERI_Admin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi we had the exactly same problem. Please check if you have "onprem-console" available while logged in via SSH. We didn't.

After that I tried another reinstallation of SSM On Prem 8 and saw that there was a problem during executing the post installation scripts.

Something like "Bug: soft lockup - CPU#x stuck for 22s!" and then the system restarted.

This error is related to CentOS and I tried to adjust a few things on my ESXI VM like hardware level but this didn't help. A few other reinstallations run into the same error.

After digging deeper into the error I found a Reddit post which solved my error.

You have to boot from the ISO and choose the first command line which is used for installing Cisco SSM. There you have to adjust the bootstring and replace "quiet splash" by "nomodeset".

Now the execution of all post installation scripts ran without error and the web access is working fine. Also onprem-console command on CLI is available.

Good luck!

Ca you provide more details on this fix?  I a running into the same issue...

Im not understanding where I adjust the bootstring

Sorry for my late reply.

Download the full package and open the document "SSM_On-Prem_8_Installation_Guide.pdf". In this document follow the teps from chapter "Manually Installing on a VM Using the .iso File (VMware ESXi)" on page 13. Open the console and start the newly created VM. Now the VM tries to boot from the ISO. You have a few seconds time until the installation automatically starts. During this time you have to press any key and stop the autmatic installation. Now you can adjust the bootstring from the first command as mentioned in my last post.

I am running into the same issue. So just for my clarification:

I have an empty VM, I have mounted the ISO, and the empty VM boots up from the ISO.

The first screen I get contains 3 lines:

1. Install Cisco SSM On-Prem

2. Test this media & install Cisco SSM On-Prem

3. Troubleshooting

So I hit option 1 and press Enter.

Do I need to immediately press any key just after this moment?

Or do I wait until I get the graphic interface where I fill in hostname, IP etc.. And after filling in the details and clicking "OK" button, do I then press any key to interrupt the automated install?

Thanks!

PS: do you have the reference to the reddit link? I can't seem to find it myself.

Super late, but I just ran into this issue myself. 

When you're on the screen that displays:

1. Install Cisco SSM On-Prem

2. Test this media & install Cisco SSM On-Prem

3. Troubleshooting

Hit 'Tab' and a prompt should pop up the bottom of the screen. The last words in the string should be 'quiet splash' or 'quiet'. Replace it with nomodeset and hit enter and then proceed with the install as normal.