cancel
Visites
Compliment
Réponses

How to find the next hop statique routing

kaillros
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a question that may be simple or stupid, but obviously when I ask it I don't see any answer.

On the internet we find millions of tutorials on how to configure a static route. In all the topologies that I have seen we set the IP addresses ourselves.It works since we configure each segment ourselves, IP etc...

my question is how to know the next jump if we ignore the information ? look the picture

kaillros_1-1709231152402.png

Thank you

5 RÉPONSES 5

show cdp <<- give you hint about the neighbor info include the IP 
use static route with egress interface no need next-hop

MHM

Hi 

Thanks for the answer but it doesn't help me anymore... when I type the command "show cdp" this is what I get back on R1

[Router#show cdp neighbors

Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge

S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater, P - Phone

Device ID Local Intrfce Holdtme Capability Platform Port ID

Router Ser 2/0 155 R PT1000 Ser 2/0]

This doesn't tell me the IP of the next hop maybe I'm expressing myself incorrectly or my question is poorly expressed

In all the tutorials I've seen on configuring static routing, this is the person who configures each IP of each interface, and they say to specify the IP of the next hop. In my case I only know the gateway IP of my box 192.168.1.254 and my public IP.

How to know the IP address of the next hop to be able to create a static route and therefore execute the command:

route IP 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 + IP next hop

Maybe there's something I'm missing or misunderstood. 

Thank you all 

route IP 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 interface x <<- no need to add next-hop if you can not know ISP IP 

MHM

Je pense que vous vous situez dans le cas où l'accès vers Internet se fait par un opérateur. Cette prochaine adresse vous n'en avez pas nécessairement connaissance et elle peut être protégée. utiliser sh cdp neigbors details vous donnera des informations si l'équipement de l'opérateur est compatible cdp et si ce protocole est activé.

Si ce n'est pas bloqué par l'opérateur vous pouvez faire un traceroute vers 8.8.8.8 et regarder les premières adresses IP.

Une autre possibilité est que l'adresse que vous cherchez soit attribuée par dhcp. Au quel cas vous pouvez simplement mettre votre routeur comme client dhcp et de cette manière l'adresse de la passerelle par défaut est connue par votre routeur.

Mais attention, vous ne pouvez pas faire un ping 'par exemple) vers 192.168.50.0 car 192.168.x.x indique un réseau privé et cette route n'est PAS transmise par Internet. pour faire cela vous avez besoin de connaître l'adresse publique du site 192.168.50.0 et aussi sur le routeur en question mettre en place de la NAT. Cela demande une architecture et une configuration plus complexe. Vous avez besoin aussi (si vous voulez pinguer 182.168.50.0) de mettre en place de la NAT sur le routeur R1.

Ma suggestion est la suivante: Vous devriez réviser le cours CCNA 200-301 et en particulier :

- les adresses publiques/privées

- CDP/DHCP/Traceroute/Ping

- NAT et PAT

- Routage statique et tables de routage.

*** Obtenez des réponses techniques plus rapidement : Vidéo (15 min. fr) Visitez mon Blog technique. ***

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @kaillros 

try to configure directly attached static route

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FastEthernet 0/1

Note that configuring a directly attached static route to an interface that uses ARP (that is, FastEthernet) causes problems and is not recommended. The router must repeat the ARP process for every destination that matches the static route, which consumes CPU and memory. Depending on the size of the prefix of the static route and the number of lookups, the configuration can cause system instability.

Best way is to know tht IP of that next-hop.... cdp, wireshark etc....

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.