Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between Mode Button and Reset Button - Cisco 3750 X

mersongeorgep
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I tried to understand the real difference between the Mode button and the reset button I can see on the Cisco 3750.

I looked around the internet and couldn't find a page talk about the reset button, instead, all are talking about the 'resetting the switch to factory default' using Mode button. Can anyone clarify this? what will happen when the reset button is pressed? I got a switch in testbench which someone actually pressed it and now I can't get an output using Putty via Console interface. I wonder what might have happened. I am not an expert in Network.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
MG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

if your not getting any type of prompt and both buttons are not working you could have a hardware issue as even if it cant get the software up switch puts itself in rommon mode , but if you cant get to the recovery section there's not much you can do

I presume you tested the console and laptop on another device to confirm its not that side just in case

is the device under support ?

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

reset on a 3750 ? , I just looked at an X series and G model all I have is the mode button ?

what is the 3750 platform you have with a reset button out of interest  ?

The mode button is what sets it back to default out of the box config , same for 2900 and 3000 series switches

Only use the mode button for factory reset

https://fatmin.com/2014/12/02/how-to-reset-cisco-catalyst-3750-back-to-factory-defaults/

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/hardware/installation/guide/3750x_3560x_HIG/HGTRBL.html

Resetting the Switch to the Factory Default Settings

If you have configured a new switch with a wrong IP address, or if all of the switch LEDs start blinking when you try to enter Express Setup mode, you can clear the IP address that is configured on the switch.

Note Resetting the switch deletes the configuration and reboots the switch.

To reset the switch:

1. Press and hold the Mode button (Figure 1-2).

The switch LEDs begin blinking after about 2 seconds. If the LEDs above the mode button turn solid green, you can release the Mode button and run Express Setup to configure the switch. If the LEDs do not turn solid green, continue with the next step.

2. Continue holding down the Mode button. The LEDs stop blinking after an additional 8 seconds, and then the switch reboots.

The switch now behaves like an unconfigured switch. You can configure the switch by using Express Setup as described in the switch getting started guide on Cisco.com.

You can also configure the switch by using the CLI setup procedure. See "Configuring the Switch with the CLI-Based

Thanks Mark, 

I had gone through the document which is helpful in the normal situations. But there is a reset button other than Mode. It is located at the rear of the switch. I have attached a photograph of the same for your reference. Now the problem is I am not getting any LEDs light up at any point of time after power up. But the fans are working the normal way. I connected console cable to access the switch via Putty (Serial / Com Port) neither can't get a  output.

Hi

ok cool so have you tried using the mode button now does anything happen does it try reset it to factory ?

No. nothing happens when I keep pressing the mode button. Even there is no indication the front panel that the switch is live. So that's what made me curious about the reset button. what it actually does!!

actually looking again at my x series there is a reset there too , never used it though , I would have thought its the same as using the mode button , have you tried using it again to see if it does anything ?

I tried that also and the fans were sound like it reset but unfortunately, there are no indications on the front panel nor putty get an output. I could not get any information on the button so I thought of posting it in here.

if your not getting any type of prompt and both buttons are not working you could have a hardware issue as even if it cant get the software up switch puts itself in rommon mode , but if you cant get to the recovery section there's not much you can do

I presume you tested the console and laptop on another device to confirm its not that side just in case

is the device under support ?

That seems correct Mark. I am contacting with the concerned team for warranty details. The cable and laptop are getting the console from other switches. Thanks so much for guiding and putting your efforts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: