Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI Multipod how to manipulate traffic beetwen sites

dachga
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a Multipod Enviroment site A and B. I have two IPN Check diagram pls. One of these circuits is for Production Environment (1G )and the other one is for BK and replication traffic (1G as well). So I have to set up in order to avoid IPN will be mixing both traffic so I was thinking to  assign the Active RP role to specific BD for instance "225.1.2.3/32" (EPG for replication and BK) to the IPN Routers decide path about routing protocols decision then  I wan to know if this solution would works.  Could you tell me other way to manipulate this traffic? How did Cisco think related to BK and Replication on ACI?

Regards,

Diego Chaves

1 Reply 1

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @dachga 

First of all, interesting topic.

Second of all, just a tip: when you refer to diagrams or pictures, it's better to insert them inline your text (using the "Insert Photos" button), and not as attachments. Otherwise very few people are interested to open the file and check whats there.

Third of all, coming back to your question: we need to discuss about this scenario from two perspectives:

1. unicast traffic
  2. BUM traffic

So let's take them one by one:

1. For the unicast user traffic, there is little you can do to influence the traffic flow, because it is encapsulated in unicast packets in the IPN (vtep-leaf-pod1 to vtep-leaf-pod2). One thing which comes to my mind is to connect your Replication and backup EPG and only this one to specific Leafs in both pods, and route the VTEPs of those leafs through BK&Replication IPN cloud. Use "acidiag fnvread" to collect the VTEP of the nodes.

2. BUM traffic on the other hand, its a bit tricky, simply because it's BD specific. If you have one EPG per BD, you are safe. If not, well, you know what you have to do.

Again, the GIPo (multicast group) assigned to the BK&Rep BD, can be indeed routed through manipulation of the RP for that specific group. However, the tricky part is that you must be sure that unknown unicast is set to flood and ARP flooding is enabled. Otherwise, the BUM traffic will have a separate forwarding logic.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License