Views
Helpful
Replies

APIC refuses upgrade

Nik Noltenius
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello everybody,

for some time now the single APIC in our test environment refuses any up- or downgrades. It's currently running 3.0(1k) and we do want to move to 3.1(1i). The new firmware does show up in the fimware repository. Node firmware and catalog file are also there. When I right-click on Controller Firmware > Controller Upgrade etc. the dialog is accepted, however status of the Upgrade remains "not scheduled" (see screenshot attached). 

This is what I've tried so far:

- Upgrade to interim version 3.0(2h) -> not possible

- Downgrade to 2.3 -> not possible 

- Upgrade Fabric Nodes first -> this works but still no upgrade possible for APIC

- Upgrade CIMC to recommended version -> no change

- Configure upgrade via CLI -> no change

- Use a scheduler instead of "upgrade now" -> no change

- Select "Ignore Compatibility Check" -> no change

- Unselect "Ignore Compatibility Check" -> no change

- Hard reboot the APIC -> no change

- Reset APIC to factory defaults and rebuild the ACI fabric -> no change

There are a couple of faults in the fabric but none that I can relate to the upgrade issue. 

Oh, and of course: Upgrades did work before. Over the last two years we went on and on from initially 1.1 to now 3.0(1k).

I hope someone has yet another hint or suggestion what could be the issue and how to get around it.

Thanks

Nik

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, storage system might be having some issues, and this could account for the inability to upgrade.   If you want to chase this issue up, suggest opening a TAC case so we can take a closer look.

If you wanted to try the vMedia upgrade you will need to boot the image using IMC & vMedia KVM.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/2-x/managing_ACI_fabric_upgrades_and_downgrades/b_Managing_ACI_Fabric_Upgrades_and_Downgrades/b_Managing_ACI_Fabric_Upgrades_and_Downgrades_chapter_011.html#id_22801

Robert

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you attempted the upgrade using the local admin account?

Have you checked the volume storage levels on this APIC?

What exactly are the faults which are raised?

You can also mount the APIC ISO image and upgrade that way.  I'd suggest to export your config just in case prior.

Robert

Hello Robert,

thank you for the swift reply.

> Have you attempted the upgrade using the local admin account?

Yes, this doesn't make any difference.

> Have you checked the volume storage levels on this APIC?

Not until now. They do indeed not look well. Actually no storage shows up at all (see screenshot). Is this bad?

> What exactly are the faults which are raised?

It's a living environment. Ports are down but used for EPGs, not all PSUs are attached, one of the vCenters is not reachable, things like that. I would provide a list, but only one attachment seems to be allowed. I'll try it after finishing this post.

> You can also mount the APIC ISO image and upgrade that way.

That's worth a try. Do I do that via CIMC and KVM?

Kind regards

Nik

Attached you can find the Fault overview.

Yes, storage system might be having some issues, and this could account for the inability to upgrade.   If you want to chase this issue up, suggest opening a TAC case so we can take a closer look.

If you wanted to try the vMedia upgrade you will need to boot the image using IMC & vMedia KVM.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/2-x/managing_ACI_fabric_upgrades_and_downgrades/b_Managing_ACI_Fabric_Upgrades_and_Downgrades/b_Managing_ACI_Fabric_Upgrades_and_Downgrades_chapter_011.html#id_22801

Robert

Thank you Robert,

the vMedia Upgrade did the job!

For others potentially facing a similar problem I want to add:

- This upgrade path required me to re-run the initial setup dialog of the APIC afterwards, which means having a backup of the fabric configuration remotely stored is highly recommended (at least in a single APIC lab environment).

- The installation via vMedia took me approximately 30 minutes.

- After booting from vMedia the installation begins with a blue window showing navigation options but seemingly doing nothing. Just wait a couple of minutes, the process continues on its own without any interaction.

Best regards

Nik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License