cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MSO Password Recovery

Korth501
Level 1
Level 1

For some reason when recovering my MSO cluster with a backup file created the same day the tacacs domain got lost and i cannot log anymore. Next to that the local account isn't working either.

Is there a way to reset the password of the local account used in the GUI via CLI?

Or is there another way to reset the local account?

Username is admin.

Note. I can log in via CLI.

Thank you in advance.

Bob 

Update 12-01-2021: I found out that i was importing the wrong backup, so me stating that configuration got lost after restoring the backup was totally my own fault. Luckily this all happened in the testlab.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I assume this is the OVA version of MSO (rather than service engine or Nexus Dashboard. If that's the case, log into the CLI:

1. Delete admin credential:

/opt/cisco/msc/builds/<build_version>/bin/msc_delete_admin.sh

2. Restart msc_userservice:
docker service update --force --detach=false msc_userservice

This process should reset the password back to the default.

Robert

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I assume this is the OVA version of MSO (rather than service engine or Nexus Dashboard. If that's the case, log into the CLI:

1. Delete admin credential:

/opt/cisco/msc/builds/<build_version>/bin/msc_delete_admin.sh

2. Restart msc_userservice:
docker service update --force --detach=false msc_userservice

This process should reset the password back to the default.

Robert

Thank you Robert, this was exactly what i was searching for.

Is there a link to documentation where i can find these kind of actions for MSO, maybe APIC to?

Greetings,

Bob

Hi @Korth501 

Well, I do not see the msc_delete_admin mentioned anywere, but there are quite a lot useful tips&tricks in the cisco live presentations (especially the troubleshooting ones). Here are the good ones:

operations.png

Stay safe,

Sergiu

I'll have our docs team add into the docs.  I'll update this thread once its been added with the relevant doc link - to help others in the future find this.

Regards,

Robert

kawak_zx7
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Robert,

Do you have the similar solution if the MSO is installed on top of virtual ASE? I can still login to virtual ASE with the rescue-user username.

Thank you.

Regards,

Albert

@albert for the MSO on ASE password recovery you will need to contact TAC as they need root access to modify the mongoDB manually to drop the admin account & reset it.  
I'd suggest to move to Nexus Dashboard if/when possible as MSO will leverage Single Sign On features and bring much better integration to both platform and other Day2 Ops tools (Nexus Insights, NAE etc).

Robert

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License