cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE in routed mode, single user with multiple threads

adam.zinser
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a user/application programmer running a program on a single server that generates multiple threads with a unique connection created per thread.  The program is pointed to a URL that resolves to an ACE vIP load balancing between two servers.  If all threads/connections hit one server it is going to eat up the resources and crash the server therefore he wants to be able to load balance his single source across both servers relative to the thread/connection.  Is there a persistence method suited to this task?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/ace/vA2_3_0/configuration/slb/guide/sticky.html#wp1002728

I looked through the above link but I got the impression that the stickiness options were client to server based, not connection to server based.

1 Reply 1

amacuz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Adam,

I'm not 100% sure I have understood what the application does but from your description what he needs is just to balance the connections between the two servers. If each thread has to stick to the same server and there is one connection per thread, I do not see any concern in using the normal way of balancing the load. Maybe I'm missing something.

Based on what would you use the stickiness?

Alessandro

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card