Helpful
Replies

Can not import ACE module to ANM

westoncui
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Good day.

I recently facing an interesting problem.

We are running ANM 5.1.0 to manage our LB contexts, those contexts are configured on ACE20-MOD-K9 module which installed in Catalyst6500 switch. Our installation is like this, two ACE20-MOD-K9 modules installed into same Catalyst6513 different slots. And  those two ACE modules serves different Data Halls, contexts configured on those modules are completely seperated, different VLAN, different subnet no relation at all.

I'm able to import the catalyst chassis into ANM and under Config>Guided Setup>Import Device>Modules, I'm able to see both ACE modules but only one module able to be imported, another one I can not even choose it. There are slightly difference those two modules show themselves in that page. The one I'm able to import shows exactly it's module type and version number but another one is showing someting strange.

Slot#      Model                     Type            Serial #      State                 Version                Description                                      #VC

3            ACE20-MOD-K9      ACE v2.3      XXXXXX      up                     A2(3.5)                Application Control Engine Module      28

9            ACE20-MOD-K9      Module         XXXXXX      Not Imported      ace2t_main_d      Application Control Engine Module      N/A  <---problem module

Does any was facing samiliar problem?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

westoncui
Level 1
Level 1

I think I found something related to my issue.

In ANM operating Guidance,section"Importing ACE Modules after the Host Chassis has been Imported" mentioned some restriction. The module in slot 9 actually has samiliar situation, show module commands shows that Catalyst chassis doesn't really recognize the software version that might caused ANM not able to figure out if that module is supported or not so it makes a simple decision deny import. I will try to reboot that module see if we can fix this issue.

"Guidelines and Restrictions

ANM 3.0 and greater releases do not support the importing of an ACE module that contains an A1(6.x) software release or an ACE appliance that contains an A1(7.x) or A1(8.x) software release. If you attempt to import an ACE that supports one of these releases, ANM displays a message to instruct you that it failed to import the unrecognized ACE configuration and that device discovery failed.

However, if you perform an ANM upgrade (for example, from ANM 2.2 to ANM 3.0), and the earlier ANM release contained an inventory with an ACE module that supported the A1(6x) software release or an ACE appliance that supported the A1(7.x) or A1(8.x) software release, ANM 3.0 (and greater) allows the A1(x) software release to reside in the ANM database and will support operations for the release. ANM prevents a new import of an ACE module or ACE appliance that contains the unsupported software version.

We strongly recommend that you upgrade your ACE module or ACE appliance to a supported ACE software release, and that you instruct ANM to recognize the updated release. See the "Instructing ANM to Recognize an ACE Module Software Upgrade" section.

See the Supported Device Tables for the Cisco Application Networking Manager for a complete list of supported ACE module and ACE appliance software releases."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/application_networking_manager/5.2/user/guide/UG_manage_devices.html