cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Receiving TCP RST on a connection to a dying server...

rhgtyink
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having a problem with my configuration on a CSS11503. If i try to connect to a dying server i receive a TCP RST. What i'd like to see is the CSS "moving" my session attempt to another server in de content rule.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ronny,

because to reassign a connection you would first need to have some special software on the servers, so one is aware of the tcp connection status of the other.

[need to know source ip, port, seq number, ...]

Since most of the time this does not exist, I think we never took the time to implement it and decided to focus on other features.

Gilles.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think a dying server is still being used and the reset should come from the server itself.

If you don't want this behavior, have the server go down immediately [no dying state] by reducing the retry count.

Regards,

Gilles.

Thanks for rating

Hello Gilles,

I assume you are refering to the "keepalive maxfailure 1" on the service ? I'm migrating from a LD416 and as far as i know that looked for TCP Resets from realservers to "flag" them Failed.... I tried setting the maxfailure to 1 but that still won't help.

This is my lab senario:

Client -- [FW]--- [Switch]--Trunk--[CSS11503]

The VIP is on another vlan than the services.

On the Client i run a looping wget script just spidering the index.html from 3 servers. When i stop one server i get a TCP RST from the VIP, wget complains about a Read Error does a second try and continues on the other servers.

As far as i understood things this should not result in receiving a TCP RST, am i correct ?

Regards,

Ronny

The css does not reassign active connections from a dead server to another one.

The connections will stay with the dead server until the application recover or in this case, the server kills the connection.

This is the way it was designed.

Regards,

Gilles.

Hello Gilles,

Thanks for the info.

Is there a special reason why sessions won't reassign ?

performance impact ?

Regards,

Ronny.

Ronny,

because to reassign a connection you would first need to have some special software on the servers, so one is aware of the tcp connection status of the other.

[need to know source ip, port, seq number, ...]

Since most of the time this does not exist, I think we never took the time to implement it and decided to focus on other features.

Gilles.

Gilles,

Thanks very much for the fast responses !

currently trying to fix a keepalive/head/302 issue... server keeps being down. But i'll repost a new toppic if i can't fix it tomorrow.

Regards,

Ronny.